My GT Tempest build thread all done with pics!

once your happy with the paint being completely gone, buy yourself a pack of cheap j-cloths, green kitchen scourers (pre-worn to soften them up a bit and make them less harsh), some meths, autosol or similar and the finest wire wool you can find.

start out with a wipe over with the meths to degrease the frame then start with a good all over polish with autosol & wire wool, then repeat. meths again, and use the softened green pan scourers and autosol, repeat. next use the j-cloths & the autosol or switch to something like t-cut.

to finish it off, give it another degrease then attack it with a polishing mop and some brasso / silvo (old sheepskin glove turned inside out works well if you can't find a proper mop) finally, give it a good polish with a mop / sheepskin rag & water & a final degrease & you should be able to see your face in it!! i've done a couple of rifles with the same method and they come up like a mirror when its finished.

your project looks good, i've got a soft spot for tempests from years back when i borrowed a mates for a couple of weeks & loved it!

Thanks for all the advice!

Mike, I have tried some finer wire wool on one section, it is a nice feeling to see that shine!

Madjez, I like those GT pedals a lot, I have already bought some bear traps but may be tempted to change to these.

Jax13, I have been wondering what this will be like to ride when it's finished, take it you have a favourable report of the Tempest?

to be honest, i can't remember much about it other than i liked it and i was going to buy it off my mate (then it got nicked).

it was a lighht grey colour, white rock shocks indy C forks, lx canti's & full lx group topped off with a spot of gold ano, yellow flite saddle & grips and a yellow / gold ano brace on the risers.

it looked awesome, rode nicely and i may at some point down the line build one up for myself!

sounds like a great project!

I got the frame for £32 with postage, so it is a cheap project to kick off, it just gets pricey when you start adding all the bits up....

My rear mech turned up today, a Deore XT from Bike radar.. Lets just say it's a project all by itself...The cage needs cleaning up and repainiting, but the jockeys are good.

It's taken forever, but I am nearly there! Hope to be complete tomorrow and get some photos up, i have decided to finish the frame with a brushed finish, which I like, it should be more practical as well. Can't wait to get out for a ride!

I sit in envy of your paint stripping abilities!

Will the paint 'eck as like come off my GT Outpost... :evil: Almost at the point of sending it to a blaster to be done!

Looking forward to updates on this as it's proving a bit of needed inspiration for my own project!

Top work :D

moffyr72":gzro5f8a said:
I sit in envy of your paint stripping abilities!

Will the paint 'eck as like come off my GT Outpost... :evil: Almost at the point of sending it to a blaster to be done!

Looking forward to updates on this as it's proving a bit of needed inspiration for my own project!

Top work :D

try a brillo pad type paint remover disk in an electric drill.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOOLZONE-PAIN ... _500wt_970

if its got a tough laquer on it then give it a good scoreing with one of the above & bath the thing in nitromors for a few days to get the paint nice and mushy. cheap / disposable apron, latex gloves & eye protection are always advisable if your using any paint remover / polishing compound with power tools because the stuff will cover everything! I learnt this the hard way!

if you can soften the paint enough with nitromors or paint stripper, you can sometimes get really good, quick results with a stanley knife blade & simply shave the paint off.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It's all done!

gta.jpg

gtv.jpg

gtf.jpg

Pictures taken on my commute to work, I get to ride cross country.

I would be interested to hear people's opinions on the frame, as the brushed effect is a bit different to the usual polished finish that looks so nice on these GT frames.

The only thing I might change is the saddle, had a period Tioga to match the tyres but it was very uncomfortable, so have reverted to an old faithful saddle that does not look up to much but provides the required levels of comfort!

Thanks to everyone who helped on this project, supplying parts etc, and thanks to Mikee for his initial inspiration!

Back