FTW's Yeti Ultimate bike

bushpig":3r1y9drt said:
The magazine mockup precedes the black bike, which looks like a regular Yeti. The MBA Ultimate bike looks like a Gecko Genesis.

Nothing to say against the cool bike from FTW and definitely a good back story, just not the first Ultimate.

As well it should because Zap copied my drawings off the work bench at RC's shop. I had built one and was testing the concept and working with Tange to develop a special ST for the project before production as I could see issues with the design. Many copies of this bike failed because they were all high on getting on the band wagon before they did any testing. I never had a final production bike fail. Later I had my first Genesis proto at RC's shop with my new tubing from Tange and Zap once again showed up and took the bike from there without my permission. I had left it there while I went skiing. He did an article on it claiming that my bike looked like his project Ultimate Bike. What nerve but I and the customer that was funding my project and who's bike that it was was happy to get the exposure. His name was Pat Hannum and he was very understanding that his bike was not delivered as promised when I told him that MBA Wrecking Crew had it.
genesis%201-800.jpg

This is an exact copy of my drawings.
MBA%20Ultimate%20Proto%201.jpg

GeckoCycles":26sqrl2f said:
bushpig":26sqrl2f said:
The magazine mockup precedes the black bike, which looks like a regular Yeti. The MBA Ultimate bike looks like a Gecko Genesis.

Nothing to say against the cool bike from FTW and definitely a good back story, just not the first Ultimate.

As well it should because Zap copied my drawings off the work bench at RC's shop. I had built one and was testing the concept and working with Tange to develop a special ST for the project before production as I could see issues with the design. Many copies of this bike failed because they were all high on getting on the band wagon before they did any testing. I never had a final production bike fail. Later I had my first Genesis proto at RC's shop with my new tubing from Tange and Zap once again showed up and took the bike from there without my permission. I had left it there while I went skiing. He did an article on it claiming that my bike looked like his project Ultimate Bike. What nerve but I and the customer that was funding my project and who's bike that it was was happy to get the exposure. His name was Pat Hannum and he was very understanding that his bike was not delivered as promised when I told him that MBA Wrecking Crew had it.
genesis%201-800.jpg

This is an exact copy of my drawings.
MBA%20Ultimate%20Proto%201.jpg

Amazing.

Thanks for the share.

As a kid, I remember reading Zap's editorials for a mag; was it MBA? Not cool. Guess that was par for the course in the undustry, back then, eh?

I think it adds an invaluable amount of interest and credibilty to any thread on any forum when the people who matter take the time and trouble to get involved :cool:

On topic: It doesn't matter whether FTW's bike above is #1, #100 or even #1000; He built it, he rode it, and he was the one who dug it out of his friends storage to auction it off. He was the one who photographed his own bike and posted the pix to illustrate his thread.

It amazes me that others can see fit to actually question the man himself regarding the provenance of his own bike!

Prototype/production bike? Who cares? The bike is one a very few whichever way you look at; FTW built it for himself and rode it, kept it, sold it. That makes it a pretty 'limited edition' bike...

I for one am very envious of the new owner, and top marks for your spirit of generosity :D

wow, interesting history, for sure! one more very good reason not to like mountain bike equipment. (action).

Latest posts

Back