shimano external BB's (road)

konafan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've just removed the external BB from my Allez sport. The chainset is Sora. The cranks had started clunking so I thought I'd take a look.
The bearings feel quite rough, so before I replace it, I'd like to know if higher spec shimano external BB's are compatible, and if they're actually worth bothering with!
I know the one on mine is also listed for use with Tiagra, but how far up the scale do these go?
cheers

I use the tiagra/sora level ones on mine. Last for about a year so 5-6k and at £15 a go seems the best option to me.

Cheers.
Well mine lasted only from last August! Admittedly done a fair few miles lately and with all the winter grit about too :oops:

So I wonder what the difference is between the sora cheapy and the £30 ultegra one? bearing seal quality perhaps?

The Ultegra one should have better seals on it but in general none of the Shimano external BB's are particularly well sealed from the elements.
The higher spec ones are compatible with lower spes chainsets and vice-versa.

It is possible to lift the seals off Shimano BB's and get some high quality grease in there instead of the usual luminous green Shimano stuff. This does tend to make them last alot longer, especially if you take the time to replace the grease a couple of times a year.

You could also consider a Hope BB as they are very smooth and well sealed and will last for several thousand miles without problems. Plus the bearing is replaceable to0.
The extra cost is well worth it in my opinion.

Have a word with sideways cycles. They put phil wood bearings in the old cups. Way, way better and only a little bit more

Back