Another Blizzard (Yawn)

It's a great looking bike, no doubt about that, but I'm interested to know exactly what you've got there. The 97 Blizzard was red and made of a Tange Prestige mix. Yours looks very much like a 98 (Ritchey Logic), but there are detail differences to others I've seen (e.g., yours has no rack eye on the dropouts). I wonder what the serial number could tell us? It looks like a size 17.5.

Rocky

I thought it was 98 with the graphics, but the serial number says 97 and it has the original stickers "signature series" and Ritchey Logic tubing on it.
Size is 17 inch. frames were often made in one year, then painted in following year's graphics.

Re: Rocky

Wold Ranger":1370onc7 said:
I thought it was 98 with the graphics, but the serial number says 97 and it has the original stickers "signature series" and Ritchey Logic tubing on it.
Size is 17 inch. frames were often made in one year, then painted in following year's graphics.

What's the 4 and 5th number, I forget the setup, if it's the latter months number then certainly a 1998, and everything else points to it.
Also at this time their new owners will have been properly kicking in. Hence the whole top end of the steel frames being ripped out of the line up and this with standard ritchey tubing (not RL prestige iirc) was the top of the range steel. Suspension and Alu was the way forward from this point on.

Re: Rocky

FluffyChicken":1fmbaaon said:
Wold Ranger":1fmbaaon said:
What's the 4 and 5th number, I forget the setup, if it's the latter months number then certainly a 1998, and everything else points to it.
Also at this time their new owners will have been properly kicking in. Hence the whole top end of the steel frames being ripped out of the line up and this with standard ritchey tubing (not RL prestige iirc) was the top of the range steel. Suspension and Alu was the way forward from this point on.
It is certainly a 98 frame then, I was just puzzled by the detail differences. Most frames for the 98 model year will have been built in 1997, and they certainly wouldn't put Ritchey Logic stickers on a 97 frame made of Tange Prestige. Canadian consumer protection laws are much too tough to risk anything like that.

Ritchey Logic would have been considered a step up if anything from the Tange Prestige mix of 97. It is Ritchey's reworking of Tange Prestige, just as Ritchey Logic WCS was his version of Tange Ultimate Superlight. I think you are unfair to ProCycle Ben. They have been better owners than Grayson Bain, who was no angel. Just about everybody was dropping their steel frames at this time, for the simple reason that the market only wanted aluminium. What was exceptional was that they continued with the Blizzard and Hammer, when some other companies dropped steel altogether.

I am sure it is a size 17.5. There was no size 17, it went 16, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21

I don't know about the latter 90's but in the early 90's there was Ritchey Logic, Ritchey Logic Prestige (has prestige in the sticker) and the WCS one, as prestige but specific thinner for race whippets and 'custom' being re specified by Rocky Mountain.
I assume the none prestige is not non-heat treated versions based on custom drawn, for Ritchey, Tange OS etc tubing.

It wasn't suppose to sound bad about ProCycle. More they came in, cleaned it up a bit and headed for the profitable parts. Suspension and Alu the way forward...

Anyway,
Anything you plan on changing on it ?
Why did you decide on that unconventional cable routing. Avid brakes I assume allow you to switch (I think they're avids ?)

Number

Frame number runs 97 07 was told this is July 97, original Blizzard and RM decals were red, (The Ritchey and signature series ones are red and silver as is the head tube badge and are lacquered over) but these were changed and couldn't be found in red, the blue ones are not lacquered over.

I think they must have done both red and blue/black decals at different points in the 98 model year, most often blue/black.

So is your serial # B9707 nnnn then? My 97 Equipe is B9608 0310, and I think it is the same frame as the 97 Blizzard, so I wondered if it would have a similar serial. Both frames made at around the same time of year, ready for the following model year.

Back