Univega Alpina 5.5

Another update, I finally got a nice pair of wheels for this a while back and I had the 1st ride on them today, purple Hope hubs and Campag Stheno rims.

DSC01089.jpg

DSC01088-1.jpg

Lovely bike

As a recent convert to Univegas I'm really pleased with the quality and ride of mine. A very under-rated make, but on the plus side that stops people asking silly money for them.

Incidentally, is the curved chainstay a feature of all retro Univegas?

Here's a pic of mine

Attachments

• Univega-a.JPG
    Univega-a.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,337
gerryattrick":2tro8h5p said:
Incidentally, is the curved chainstay a feature of all retro Univegas?

Early 90's steel Univega Alpinas had 'Max Mudroom' chainstays, which curved down just beyond the rings and then swooped back up to a normal dropout position. It looks as though the intention was to provide the maximum clearance for garbage around the rear tyre without having to make the driveside chainstay basically flat at the rings, while keeping a pleasant symmetry in both stays. Quite strange, to think about the problems posed by gloop when they were supposedly at that time designed in California.

Re:

Time for a long overdue update, the bike is now wearing a lovely set of white industries cranks, FSA risers and a higher Ritchey stem.
Its now much more comfortable and handles like a dream!

20150805_202914_zpsc6ex6x5m.jpg

20150805_202905_zpsgdmwot6z.jpg

20150805_202925_zpsu1khw2bw.jpg

Thanks to Spudly for the pics.

Very nice. My wife has an Alu 800, it handles beautifully and has been recently souped up with a Marzocchi Z3 (199:cool: with 63mm of travel which suits it really well.

Re:

Thanks, I've toyed with the idea of a pace fork up front but I think I prefer it rigid.

Latest posts

Back