update - Iron Horse FS Works / Verlicchi

You should make it a....

• Kona EFS ! (Cindy Devine, Mount Snow '93)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iron Horse FS Works ! (Dave Cullinan, Worlds '92 and much more)

• Sintesi Bromont ! (Giovanna Bonazzi, Worlds '93)

• Total voters

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Originally it was destinied to be a Kona EFS. As going the Iron Horse way was also an appealing option (and as I managed it to reproduce their decal ;) ), it has become an Iron Horse FS Works now. Whenever my mood changes I can still always decide to make it a Kona.

Still busy, thus not finished yet.

173891776_8e6f43995d_b.jpg

An Ibis Ti bar and red Zooka came on. When I picked it up it featured a Modolo Pilot and Azonic riser. Thought it was fun to mount a start#.

173891777_0498eba45b_b.jpg

ih5600.jpg

ih7600h.jpg

Also made this fun trial decal to test colours, sizing...

ih4600h-1.jpg

Eat my dust!

Comments welcome.

- Melvin

Good choice melvin .

Kona is too comon , and sintesi no enough .

Iron horse is right .

Hi Steve,

Stem could indeed use some rise, but this was what I had laying in red Zookas. I always remember me this bike being raced with flat bar.

Hmm maybe you're right, although I seem to remember them when stuff like the gofast bar and azonic stems were coming out. I raced in the same 4x eliminator race as Steve Peat when he won it by miles on one of those branded up as a Kona :). I was racing my Vitamin T and my damn Onza pedals let my feet slip out :x pretty much put me off clipless pedals right there.

nearly picked one of those up on e bay last year , watched it for nearly a week then lost interest

was while i was looking into the proflex got caught up in that

it was silver front with a green s`arm , kone branded

believe it or not it went for about £25.00 :twisted:

Hi Slim,

Actually ridiculous as it is really proper built and it has been raced to so many victories. Has probably to do with the identity thing. What is it? A Kona, an Iron Horse, a Sintesi ...or should we call it simply Verlicchi?!

Often see people paying what I consider silly money for crap made products of a certain brand more involved in Marketing than in making bikes. I would say at least with this bike there is not lain on its origins, as it is widely known it is from Verlicchi, Italy. Anyway I have to settle with this is the way the world works. Good thing is the desinterest in the right stuff makes me happy when it comes to acquiring ;)

- Melvin

Looks like I'm the fly in the ointment but with European components like sachs I would have gone with the Sintesi Bromont Euro option. That said it looks really nice as an Iron Horse, you've got quite a collection sir!

That is also an approach.

The Sachs groupset is Sachs' top of the line groupset Quarz. Very nice groupset built out real materials. Hubs going silky smooth and BB saying SKF. Think that says it all. Rollerbearings.

Nice brakes. For springtension the brakes do not have the setscrew like Shimanos. There is a cylinder inside the brakes that has to be adjusted with wrench 15 on the back of the brake. You fix it with the bolt on the front. I have seen this setup with more brakes, but Sachs has it too. Works well, looks clean.

Finishing of the Quarz groupset is top notch.

As I do not have ridden a single mile with the bike so far, I can not tell how my experiences are with this groupset. Would be happy to learn.

- Melvin

Before going out for a spin the crucial parts seatpost, seat and bottlecage (it was hot here too) had to be added. The post is a Kalloy, the seat a white Turbo and the cage is red anodized (a downhillbike with bottlecage :roll: ).

With the parts installed I were ready to take it out for a ride. I were positively surprised :) I have had one before, but that one went to a friend on Curacau pretty quick. In my memory it was a very unefficient lorry. With my new one I immidiately had the right setup. Furthermore both shocks were also working more in harmony now. The 1st Verlicchi had a Judy in front.

The suspension really smoothens out the terrain. No need to steer away from bumps. It is now more about pedalling as fast as you can. The handling is very good. It isn't the most agile, but point it and go!

I discovered it is a great bike for training purposes. Because of the system and the weight (in particular the weight of the rotating parts) I have to do a bit more my best to keep up with my friends .....unless the course is a downhill (but there aren't so many in Holland). When riding alone it is a bit like you're riding against wind. It really makes me stronger.

I think it is a great early full suspension to own. It is not the most efficient, but it is tough and if it fails it isn't a financial disaster. Initially I weren't sure whether to keep this one in the long run, but now I am. I'll deffo keep it. It is worthy representative of the FS breed in my stable.

- Melvin

Latest posts

Back