1992 GT Team Avalanche FINISHED

the_duke

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
After selling my Overbury's I have been looking for a nice frame and fork to build up. I had no plans or aspirations other than nice steel tubing, a bit scarce, and a good fit.

The GT came up and it looked like a great prospect so I snapped it up. The Team Avalanche doesn't seem to appear in the catalogue on file that I can see so any scans / ads etc would be appreciated.

From what I can gather it came 2nd in the steel pecking order to the Psyclone and was a mix of Tange Prestige concept, Tange prestige, and True Temper GTX. It was full M900 and GT own brand cockpit.

This was originally yellow with blue lettering but has since been re-painted (very well) in a blue metallic cobalt which is very nice.

The 3D forks need the decals and the Prestige concept sticker is missing from the seat tube so these will be on order from Gil soon. Can anyone confirm the style of the "gt" on the side of the forks for this year?

Enough talk, here are some pics as I start. . . . . . . .

p1020131xt.jpg

p1020137z.jpg

p1020136n.jpg

p1020142kr.jpg

p1020139e.jpg

p1020138z.jpg

Long term I am looking at M900 mechs, wheels, and front canti (the rear is XT U-brake) XT thumb shifters and brake levers, and if they crop up some Tioga Revolver cranks, if not I am undecided.

Priorities are a NOS Tioga threaded headset and a stem. I am conflicted between a colour matched GT Flip-flop which I dont have (any one got one I can paint???) and a black Prestige T-bone stem, I already have a NOS Prestige seatpost.

If anyone has info or experience with these bikes would love to hear it, at the moment I am very excited to have something new to get into. Never had a GT before and I think I am getting the bug :LOL:

lovely! not to sound picky, though i guess it is, the non drive side "GT All Terra" i suspect is not quite right, in that the All Terra is supposed to read to the right of the GT not the left.

looks to be clear coated now, so not really changeable anyhow...

The 3D forks had the small vertical stack GT logo adjacent the bosses, and then the "3D" logo on the frpnt faces, just above the dropouts.

28082010204ba0u.jpg

Back