Chain skipping??

My money would be on a Stiff link too. I also agree that the factory "lube" is just a coating for storage and not an actual lube. I believe you are suposed to wash it off and re-lube. I tried that once though and it didn't seem to come off very easily so these days I just put proper lube on over the top of whatever it is.

I had this problem and it turned out to be my front cahin rings, they looked fine but caused it to skip. On closer inspection one of the teeth was very slightly damaged which caused it.

Anthony":vhps2601 said:
I think the waxy substance is a protective coating rather than a lubricant, so I always oil a new chain now, but I did find some problems with new chains previously.

As you say you have 'realised' that your old chain was worn out, it makes me wonder how you realised. In many cases, people realise that they need a new chain quite a long time after the chain should have been replaced. By that time, one or more of the rings, sprockets and/or jockey wheels may have been damaged by the chain. So there are still problems with a new chain.

If on the other hand, you realised when you measured the chain, which you do regularly, and it was looking more like an eighth stretched than a sixteenth, then it's much less likely that you've damaged the rings, sprockets and/or jockey wheels.

Cassette, chain, chainrings and jockey wheels are all new and I replaced them at the same time.

I haven't checked for a stiff link or the joining link. Tomorrow I'll clean and lube the chain... also check it for stiff links including the joining link.

Thanks guys :D

Back