Should I Complain Diamondback M05

Don't want to sound harsh but you bought a cheap bike & seem to expect it to work as well as a good bike. I just don't get the fact that people are slating Halford's when from your post it seems as if you took the bike away in a box and expected it to be set up already. Maybe the brakes & gears don't work because they never do straight out of the box without being adjusted.
I have worked in Halford's before and believe me your best course of action is to take the bike back, explain politely the issues you are having and ask if they can sort it for you. I think you will find they will happily set it up for you and if they find an issue with the brake being faulty they will replace it for free.
I remember building those exact bikes a couple of years back and whilst I used to try to talk people into buying a Vulcan for around the same price, once set up they worked fine.

you would be shocked at what power a brake actually needs to be deemed safe.

When i did bikes at JJB we got in some kobe 259 bmx bikes, front was a caliper and rear was a u-brake. OMG they were pathetics, i could just about getting the rear to be ok but the front just didnt grip.
I phoned the supplier and they told me the brakes had been tested and they stopped the bike within safe stopping distance, end of.

And i cant stress how much the sucked. They seemed alright when on the stand but as soon as you put weight on the bike they were pretty much non existent

With the bike, nearly all boxed bikes will need brakes and gears tinkering with, even expensive ones so you wont really be able to complain about that as you opted to build it yourself. I would certainly go back to the store though with the brake even in light of what i just wrote and see what they say. I personally would get the brake satisfactory for you.

im going to get flamed now but......

if you build a bike yourself and complain it doesnt work, then you take it back to the shop, they fix it and it works..........

you should have been stood in front of a mirror when you complained.

The store is actually within its rights able to charge you for setting the bike up for you as you signed the form to say you were taking it boxed. But thats down to descression really

With the brake im not sure as like i said you can bet on it that by legal standards the brake is suffient

Jaz":2tmi25n1 said:
Don't want to sound harsh but you bought a cheap bike & seem to expect it to work as well as a good bike..

unfortunately so, from a quick shufty on the web, these are selling for £ 200 .... call me a snob :cool: but I have wheels alone that cost 4x that!!
nevertheless, the bike should be fit for purpose - if you know what you are doing and set up the bike then that is just poor components which are par for that price range.

if you don't know what you are doing, then you may want to ask for someone knowledgeable to take a look, this may or may not be the peeps in Halfords.

Back