Raleigh Titanium frame knowledge?

Meurten

Retro Newbie
Hello I am new to this forum but I saw there is a lot of knowledge here.
I just acquired this titanium frame from Raleigh, with mizuno fork.
The frame number is
Does anybody know what year it is and quality?
It has one problem that I have found and that is the screw for the bottle holder. the inner screw attached to the frame is loose. Is there a way to fix this, glue maybe, or do I have to go to a really goo d frame builder?

I needed a new project after I have ridden my steel Duell bike.
And I have always liked the sights of titanium bikes.
So If I want to make in natural looking how would i get rid of the paint?

Kind regards,

Maarten

Attachments

• _MNF2669.jpg
    _MNF2669.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 4,876
  • _MNF2675.jpg
    _MNF2675.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 4,877
  • _MNF2676.jpg
    _MNF2676.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 4,876
  • _MNF2671.jpg
    _MNF2671.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 4,877
Welcome to the forum, I am quite new too and have been made very welcome.

Titanium is a material that excites me, would love to own a titanium bike one day, especially a GT Edge...

I have recently stripped an aluminium GT frame and used Nitromors, wire wool and stanley blades, it takes forever, is very laborious, but worth the effort. Nitromors first as thick as you can, leave for an hour, then thick wire wool. Repeat this process, it was not 100% effective for me so I ended up scraping the paint with a stanley blade, you have to be very careful to shave and not dig in to the metal. After you have done this there is the whole issue of refinishing, progressively finer grades of wire wool work on aluminium, I don't know about titanium.

Sounds like a great project looking forward to following this one along!

Quick glance

Hi and welcome
Just having a quick glance here at work but judging by the paintjob it looks about 97 - 99 vintage and I think these were some of the last to come out of the RSP division. (Raleigh Special Products)
Very nice :cool: Lovely paintjob.
There are a lot more knowledgable chaps on here regards Raleigh, not my thing, and trust me, they will be along soon.
Jamie

It has one problem that I have found and that is the screw for the bottle holder. the inner screw attached to the frame is loose. Is there a way to fix this, glue maybe, or do I have to go to a really goo d frame builder?

I had the same thing happen on a Raleigh ti MTB frame. What you need is a replacement rivnut - basically a rivet with a thread in the middle. I seem to remember that Evans sorted mine out for me. Then again I did buy the bike from them.

Re: Quick glance

Jamiedyer":196ifuza said:
There are a lot more knowledgable chaps on here regards Raleigh, not my thing, and trust me, they will be along soon.
Jamie

Here I am !

Correctly answered. It is 1999, and the solution is a new rivnut (or a bit of glue).

Regards

SIMONFREESE":39ad3pdq said:
I have recently stripped an aluminium GT frame and used Nitromors, wire wool and stanley blades

You really, really, really don't wanna rub steel wool into an aluminium frame...

Thanks for all the replys.

@Bikemeister2000: Do you know what type it is? didn't get that from the seller. What is the quality of these frames?
I've read about the different kinds of titanium and where Raleigh got it from. What about this frame?
Are there some places I have to check thoroughly for wear and tear, all seems good to me but I haven't much expercience.

I'l look in to the rivnut, the link was great thanks.
If it doesn't work I'll bring it to a good shop, don't want to ruin it myself.

That Nitromors seems a pretty afwul chemical goody, doesn't it do anything to the titanium underneath? the wool probably will.
I had my old steel Duell sanded before giving it the orange colour, can that be done with titanium as well? It would save me a lot of work and it costs only € 25 at a frame paintshop.
The special paint was done by a graphic artist, and I really love the flying eye. I think I'd like to do the same with this one but with a clear frame and keep the flames as a black outline, as a tribute to how it was.

Attachments

• MNF.20090901.2442.jpg
    MNF.20090901.2442.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 4,760
  • MNF.20090901.2438.jpg
    MNF.20090901.2438.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 4,760
  • MNF.20090901.2436.jpg
    MNF.20090901.2436.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 4,760
Meurten":2tcbuhrc said:
Thanks for all the replys.

@Bikemeister2000: Do you know what type it is? didn't get that from the seller. What is the quality of these frames?
I've read about the different kinds of titanium and where Raleigh got it from. What about this frame?
Are there some places I have to check thoroughly for wear and tear, all seems good to me but I haven't much expercience.

The Titanium we used at that time was sourced in the UK from Timet. http://www.timet.com/
Previously we sourced from IMI in the UK. http://www.imiplc.com/

As far as checking goes, just like anything else, it all depends on what wear it has had.

Take no notice of stories concerning old Russian tubes. That's just stories passed on by people who should know better.

Best regards

Back