Claud Butler - what year, what type? (probably '81!)

Goldie,

Thanks for that. The feeling I get from using the bike tells me it's well made and good quality, but it's nice to know for sure. Certainly, mine is the bottom of the range, but I believe it would have been quite expensive, even so!

I was thinking of changing out the steel rear mech, but it works so well, it would be a shame to. I can't imagine anyone else wanting it!

Which Claud do you have?

I have confidently dated mine to around '81 as most of the components are stamped '80

Hmmm... I've had four. This one's the keeper - 1969/70 Electron Super Fve:

DSC02588.jpg

These two passed through:

DSC02465.jpg

DSC02936.jpg

And I've got a 1963 frame in the cellar that I'm collecting parts for. I really do love these things...

Oo those are lovely bikes! The paint is beautiful!

Pleased I haven't yet seen a Claud in 70s brown, all the colours are eye catching without being disturbing.

Is the greenish one an Electra too? I can't believe that you have a machine that is 40 years old, that looks as though it was new in the shop earlier today. Amazing!
Have you kept your newest one to the original spec, or did you go for better parts where possible?

I will be interested to see how your 60s model progresses

I have put some nice centrepulls on mine and have some rather fancy alloy mudguards to go on after the weekend :)
Once I have some fancy bar tape and decent brake levers, I will go back to drop bars too, I think.

So I went wild and got the weinmann centre pull brakes fitted and some extra-long VO alloy mudguards. Very nice to ride when the roads are wet, and ever-so stylish.

I notice the tyres (which are almost certainly original) have started to split. Only 30 years old, and already perished.

"Stuff isn't made like what it was"

Anybody any ideas about the difference between
Weinmann Vanquieur 999 with red label and red plastic trim and Weinmann Vanquier with black label and black plastic trim? Just curious. They look pretty similar, at a glance.

The 999 and the blood red colour may not appear auspicious to some, I suppose.

Attachments

• pots bike-s.jpg
    pots bike-s.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 2,060
  • farm-s.jpg
    farm-s.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 2,060
  • pottttsml.jpg
    pottttsml.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,060
If the main frame is 531 then I'd say a 79 Majestic, can't see a Reynolds sticker on the frame from the photos though.

I had an 81 Majestic and your logo looks older.

Back