1993 Answer Manitou System FS

trail_head":c9yhcnnu said:
Hi Retrobike,

I've been lurking here for a while but, never had a retro project before this one.

I recently found this bike in a clients garage. It had been sitting for a very long time. They were happy to have me haul it away! My lucky day!

I've done some research and now know about the history and heat treating issues which can lead to cracking. Mine does have a small crack in the head tube. In the past I've had no issues welding cracks in my aluminum frames.
Has anyone here welded one of these bikes and did it last? Also, I'm wondering if after welding the crack, I had it heat treated again, would it last longer?
I'll update this thread as I go along with the restoration.

Thanks much,
Timothy

photo1-2.jpg

photo-4.jpg

I've been building and fabricating with Aluminum for a very long time . I recently welded my son's Cannondale frame for the third time. Bottom bracket cracking around front drop tube. after I weld any of the aluminum frame be it motorcycle or bicycle or any other racing parts. I've never had a weld fail or weakening of the original frames integrity.
I preheat my parts to be welded, I fing this to make getting a good solid weld easier. Please let me know how you turnout with this project..
B

BKnucklehead":2twybsbq said:
I've been building and fabricating with Aluminum for a very long time . I recently welded my son's Cannondale frame for the third time. Bottom bracket cracking around front drop tube. after I weld any of the aluminum frame be it motorcycle or bicycle or any other racing parts. I've never had a weld fail or weakening of the original frames integrity.
I preheat my parts to be welded, I fing this to make getting a good solid weld easier. Please let me know how you turnout with this project..
B

Nice to hear a positive reflection on welding cracked frames for a change. Generally there seems to be a lot of doubts and negativity on the subject.

Cheers :)

beepbeep":h0x0dqc8 said:
BKnucklehead":h0x0dqc8 said:
I preheat my parts to be welded, I find this to make getting a good solid weld easier. Please let me know how you turnout with this project..
B

Generally there seems to be a lot of doubts and negativity on the subject.

Cheers :)

It's funny that. I think it's root is in "fear of the unknown."
Welding is not a black art. I've welded everything from bike frames to airplane wings. If the engineers say it's good, it's good.

This is the best of RB, fixing things to a great standard that most people would throw away - nice work!! Remember to take pics as you go along and post them here as there are a lot of people interested.

BKnucklehead":1hrmteo2 said:
I preheat my parts to be welded, I find this to make getting a good solid weld easier. Please let me know how you turnout with this project..
B[/b]

Interesting. In the case of this frame, 7005 Alu, solution hardened to T-6 as a tubeset and then artificially aged after welding, I thought it best(after getting opinions from several knowledgeable chaps, including the aerospace company that treated these frames bitd) to keep heat to a minimum. To that end, the welder was in and out very quickly. The frame will now "age" for several months, thanks to the Canadian winter, before it gets any stress.
Thanks for the encouragement, I fully expect some negativity from the armchair engineers for this part of the build.

Thanks,
Cheers,
TC

inspiring work and commitment to bringing this back to life. and a native local to boot! ;)

sending you a PM to discuss welding repairs.

final welding update

Today I acid dipped her to remove all the original clear anodizing.
The picture is of the side of the headtube which had three cracks repaired.
It's pretty close to done(welding), I'll fuss about with it just a tic more and then off she goes to polishing and anodizing.

93manitou002-1.jpg

93manitou001.jpg

Like I said, I know where there's a NOS frame that's missing the rear yoke if you want to circumvent the welding/finishing/anodizing/restickering process.

Re: final welding update

trail_head":ax8b6g8e said:
Today I acid dipped her to remove all the original clear anodizing.
The picture is of the side of the headtube which had three cracks repaired.
It's pretty close to done(welding), I'll fuss about with it just a tic more and then off she goes to polishing and anodizing.

:shock: Wow, that's an ACE job there! Really loving the effort put forth in the restoration! How's about the BB?

Back