British Steel

Cool, thanks. Just to be annoying, is there a standard axle length or does that depend on the cranks?

Cheers

Giom6":216bb7om said:
Cool, thanks. Just to be annoying, is there a standard axle length or does that depend on the cranks?

Cheers

Mine is fitted with a BB that is around 120mm (sorry, only have a tape measure to hand). Not sure if that's a standard size, I know 119 and 122 are standard (guess who's been fitting a few BB's lately).

Roberts...

This is a great illustrated history lesson.

Though I do not have anything(yet) to contribute...

Was there a ever a Roberts "Black Panther"??? If yes which year was it built?

Thank you all for sharing!

Quick update on my DB. It was made in 1992 and it is NOT an SE.

So, orange and black respray it is then :twisted:

NeilM":d03tn4xw said:
Quick update on my DB. It was made in 1992 and it is NOT an SE.

So, orange and black respray it is then :twisted:

Thats great news, so its the se colour scheme as shown in the mag review but with columbus max tube for the main triangle..? I have the same one you are goina love it.

Was it Brian you spoke too?

And did they say if the original buyer chose the green and white? i only ask, as i wondered if the paint as you bought it, is original.

Also have you decided to replace the top tube, or fill and paint?

sinnerman":ygzr2bk2 said:
Thats great news, so its the se colour scheme as shown in the mag review but with columbus max tube for the main triangle..? I have the same one you are goina love it.

Was it Brian you spoke too?

And did they say if the original buyer chose the green and white? i only ask, as i wondered if the paint as you bought it, is original.

Also have you decided to replace the top tube, or fill and paint?

Not quite sure who I spoke to, but we had a good chat and he was slightly taken aback when I said the frame had found it's way to a car boot sale in Surrey.

Yes the green white is as originally supplied.

Not sure about the repair. It's not in a load bearing position, but from my car / motorbike experience, rot is rot. The guy at Roberts said they could patch it with no ill effects, but my natural inclination is to replace the whole tube.

What do you guys think?

Also, where do I get decals from? As if it goes to Argos (dead convenient, as they are 30 minutes drive away), then I suspect I'll need to supply the decals.

Most complicated route would be to get Roberts to do the repair, and supply me with a set of decals in black, then get Argos to ' do their thang' with the orange and black stove enamel.

Stick to one builder; it's far simpler, quicker, cheaper, and the results will be better.
I've no experience with Argos, but I'd go with Roberts, simply because it's one of theirs.

suburbanreuben":1r946apq said:
Stick to one builder; it's far simpler, quicker, cheaper, and the results will be better.
I've no experience with Argos, but I'd go with Roberts, simply because it's one of theirs.

I suspect due to how good both companies are they will both have full order books, and stacked diaries, so i expect the time frame for repairs and paint will be a long one.

But i must say, theres no better way than Having the original builder do the work imho.

:cool:

I think I would agree with Carl.

I hope to get Chas to make the matching stem and respray the frame if I can. Makes complete sense for him to do it seeing he made the original frame.

Back