Cucchietti, any info for an Itallion bike virgin

Some Guy

Retro Guru
Hi. I decided I fancied a 1980/90s Itallion bike a while ago and have been trying to learn a little from the 'net. Mountain bikes aside this will be my most modern bike, so please excuse my noob'ness.

I'd been sent photos of a Moser which I went to see, an came away with the Moser and the Cucchietti. The Cucchietti whispered to me when I saw it :)

Now as I said I know very very little about these type of bikes and zero about Cucchietti. But little things about the Cucchietti seem very nice to my eyes. The drop outs are Campag, the backs of the Columbus fork blades seem crimped. The seat stays are kind of ovalised, even the chainstay bridge seems special. The Columbus tubing sticker is torn so I can't identify the tubing, although it takes a 27.2 seatpost, the Moser takes a 27.0 seatpost.

I guess what I'm asking, in a niave way, is if the Cucchietti is a better frame to build up? The Moser is in great condition, but the other frame seems more special??
Any comments or opinions appreciated. Many thanks.

Cucchietti, it's rubbish - send it to me.
:twisted:

I'll pay the postage ;)

There's your answer from me FWIW.

:) Cheers Ned, so I'm assuming it's not a clunker!

Found an email address for Bici Cucchietti. The very helpfull Giorgio & Mia confirmed it's Columbus SL and built between 1984-87. Didn't think I should ask them if they thought it was more special than the Moser ;)

Cut out lugs, oval fork tubes, external cables, shot in seat stays............. if old ned turns it down I'll have it :)

Shaun

The Cucchietti does seem the more interesting frame. It has more of those little features that made Italian frames of the 80s seem so exotic compared to the standard British frames of the same era. That's not to say they were better frames per se just different.

I would build up the Cucchietti but keep the Moser just in case it turns out to be a total dog of a frame!

Mark.

Cheers for the replies guys.
I'm going to slip some wheels, stem & bars on it later and get a better idea on how it could fit. It's fractionly larger than the Moser. The top tube is what I can comfortably ride, but the seat tube is bigger than I've tried before. Fingers crossed!

Somewhere in one of my old computers there are photos of a 1983 Cucchietti bike that I used to own that was built up completely with Campagnolo 50th anniversary gruppo. It was a very well-built bike (far superior to any Moser that I have seen for sale which tend to all be standard production bikes).

^ Wowser 50th Aniv Campag, some one must've loved it!

Havn't tried to see if it fits yet, ever so slightly afraid it won't & been to busy playing with a Raleigh 20! :LOL:

Back