V-brake/canti lever thing

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
what is the effect of using V's on canti levers and vice versa? Doable, not advised, or just plain scary?
Cant remember which pulls most cable as never used v's before. Went from canti to disc via my twilight beer years.

ta!!

I just put Vs on a set of old Manitou 2s using DiaCompe SS-7 Levers.
Works brilliantly strangely enough. They are very powerful but modulate well enough not to send me over the bars!

A crap but quick fix is to put a kink in the brake cable, it reduces the ferocity.
Long-term, get some new levers though!

I used V's with my Dx's when the V's became more populair. I was completely used to a "very responsive brake" but have to admit it was like a lightswitch.
One day a friend asked me if he could try my bike (you see it comming don't you :LOL: ) and that was ok with me. I did warn him for the brakes, also because I put left right and right left like on motobikes...he was carefull he replied. Of he go and he was more like a roadracer so he stayed on the tarmac, his legs pumping like an old diesel engine...faster and faster...and faster...a T junction is comming up...he slowly reach for the brakes...he slows down a bit and swings to the left...and from the left A COMPLETE FAMILY SHOWS UP!!! He hit the brakes and is launched into orbit! At least 5 meters he was flying and he landed without wheels on his chin. Today he still has marks all over his body to tell the story. We laughed a lot that day but he will never ever ask me if he can try my bike :twisted:

Old levers with V brake cants = Lots of power, no modulation/feeling
V levers with old cants = Very firm feel with no power

V levers pull more cable

right!

Thanks for the clarity, have stuck with plain cantis for now, some old Ritchey that look like 986. They almost work so will do just fine!!
nice story on the brakes - I live in fear of ever riding a bike with wrong brakes left/right anyway :shock:

Back