Retro turntable

apache

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Many moons ago (10'000 or so in fact) I owned a Michell Syncro deck with Linn Basik and A&R MC cartridge, with decent amp and speakers of the day.

In a moment of madness, around 1990, I sold all my vinyl and my Michell in favour of that new fangled CD thing. Since then, I've always had CDs, these days using a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player, an Arcam 9 amp and some Mission bookshelf speakers, however, I've never been able to recapture that indefinable quality that kept me sitting all evening listening.

This year sometime, we'll be moving house and I'll hopefully have the space to dedicate a room to music, and I feel a real need to return to vinyl to see if I can recapture that 'thing' that's missing. I don't want to pay the stupid money modern audiophile decks fetch but quite fancy a retro turntable, perhaps another Syncro (like rocking horse doo doo though) or something else that was well respected in it's day such as the Townshend Rock or a Pink Triangle - or maybe even the ever present LP12?

Any thoughts anyone?

I bought a Rega Planar 3 from LGF that I am very pleased with.

Sounds like you're used to snazzier gear though 8D.

Systemdek turntables can be had at a good price......i had one with a Linn Akito arm on......with a audiotechna cartridge it sang :D

I always had a soft spot for TD160S - nearly bought one BITD.

A mate had a Rega 3 with a Creek amp (the one with the green screen printing) and some Wharfdale Diamond speakers when we were teenagers. Great for the cash!

Systemdek - dunno, can't really get my head round a turntable made by the same people who made my Green Flash ;) (yes, I know...)

I see from eBay that it's possible to take an old clunker Garrard 401, stick it in a glass and slate plinth and charge £2000 for it! :shock:

Where's my stone cutter...

apache":ydnm05ih said:
A mate had a Rega 3 with a Creek amp (the one with the green screen printing) and some Wharfdale Diamond speakers when we were teenagers.

Lucky teenagers - that's all I can say!

I'm sure I remember the Rega 3 being a hundred and something back then, and we had paper rounds, car washing and leaflet delivering businesses, and did the odd bit of garden weeding.

If you wanted it bad enough, you did what you had to do :)

Maybe.

But such wisdom and good taste at such a young age is not something you can earn on a paper round.

Back