Marin Bear Valley, early 90's?

MarinMania

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

can anyone date my Bear Valley? My brother gave it to me late 90's, used it on and off since then, took it to Australia.
I changed the steering stem because I couldn't get comfortable with the original, also replaced the pedals.
This bike has just spent a Perth (WA) winter outside, sprayed the chain and sprockets and of it went...Again!! Everything works perfectly!
I don't know much about bikes but this one always felt so so light, even when I compare it to modern bikes, and if I am ever frewheeling downhill, this will overtake everything (I'm 80Kg).
So.. I'm thinking of restoring it...Is it worth it? I can't ever remember Marin decals on the down tubes, most pics show them. Are decals available?
Should I buy a Trek 3500??

Cheers - Mark
Perth Western Australia

Attachments

• P1010235.JPG
    P1010235.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,259
  • P1010237.JPG
    P1010237.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 1,259
  • P1010239.JPG
    P1010239.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 1,259
bv

yes, 1992 it is, could even be a 'SE' or is that just two scratches?

anyway, a good clean up will see this bike in action again. the sort of project i like where, all parts are removed, cleaned and re-installed. a great way to get to know the bike and any underlying faults.

the middle ring on chainset looks past it but a few dollars on brake pads, odd cable, decals if you want and see how it runs. bottom bracket will be well-in but worth removing to see if bb shell isn't holding water/corroding.

mind you, you're in aus. we here judge all metal objects against p.o.m.e weather ;).

keep us updated.

cheers.

Re: bv

marc two tone":24bk6ls8 said:
yes, 1992 it is, could even be a 'SE' or is that just two scratches?

anyway, a good clean up will see this bike in action again. the sort of project i like where, all parts are removed, cleaned and re-installed. a great way to get to know the bike and any underlying faults.

the middle ring on chainset looks past it but a few dollars on brake pads, odd cable, decals if you want and see how it runs. bottom bracket will be well-in but worth removing to see if bb shell isn't holding water/corroding.

mind you, you're in aus. we here judge all metal objects against p.o.m.e weather ;).

keep us updated.

cheers.

I wasn't sure if those were scratches or the SE text.....but the front and rear derailleurs are 500LX which was std on the SE, along with the silver cranks.

I also love projects like this where, essentially the bike is all there and with a bit of cleaning and tinkering and TLC can be transformed into something much, much better.

There is a theory on the forum that a full-on, fresh paint resto can leave you a little "cold" once it's finished...... if you've owned the bike for a long time it's likely you'll have a story behind all those scratches, scuffs, knocks. If you remove them all it's like you lose part of the bikes history.......

Can you see the frame number on the underneath of the bb? the frame numbers on the early marins are quite accurate

Identify Bear Valley

Hi all,

Yes it is an se, not just the scratches!

Serial number is M42KA0039.

Any help with paint colour would be appreciated, I don't remember it being gloss black, maybe some kind of satin matt black.

Will things like crank bearings, shimano parts be available from generic dealers?

Cheers - Mark WA

G'day mate.. Here's a picture of what it would've looked like new.

bearvalleyse.jpg

All parts to replace anything damaged can usually be found on eBay (certainly in the uk) so you should have it running well. New bb's aren't very expensive. Have a look in the for sale section ;)

Latest posts

Back