British Steel

I have restored and customised British motorcycles for over 30 years and so I've done a lot of builds back to original, and just as many personalised / customised builds. As far as I am concerned if you make no fundamental or irrevocable changes to the basic machine, then someone can always restore it back to factory standard at some point.

Each to their own I think, and if immaculate restoration (like your Zinn, which is awesome) is your thing, and customisation is mine, isn't that what makes something like retro biking more diverse and interesting.

Technical question (for anyone): What size headset does the D.O.G.S... take?

I've measured the headstock and it's pretty small diameter.

Exactly right. It's all about what works for you.

I think the headset size is 1" but I'm sure somebody else can confirm that for you.

Really looking forward to seeing how your build comes along. I hope you put a thread up as I'll follow it with great interest.

Giom6":1je8lvos said:
I think the headset size is 1" but I'm sure somebody else can confirm that for you.

Oh Lordy, that'll throw a spanner in the spokes, as I was planning on fitting some 2006 Rocksox SID Team forks.

When I measured the headstock, I thought 1 1/8" was going to be tight.

NeilM":2ebvgsmn said:
Giom6":2ebvgsmn said:

Oh Lordy, that'll throw a spanner in the spokes, as I was planning on fitting some 2006 Rocksox SID Team forks.

When I measured the headstock, I thought 1 1/8" was going to be tight.

You wanted a DONKIS NOB for 1 1/8" ;)

Sorry to see the hole - its easily fixable but the seller is still a prize a'hole for not mentioning it in the eBay listing.

Looking forward to seeing it finished :D

nevadasmith":9pl2axqr said:
You wanted a DONKIS NOB for 1 1/8" ;)

If I could have found one, I would have bought it. Rocking horses and manure come to mind.

I'm a bit pissed with the seller, but his comms have been good and he's just a trader and had no idea what the frame was, just that he could make a few bob selling it.

It appears to have come from a car boot sale in Surrey :shock:

Head tube for 1in steerer is 30mm internal diameter, head tube for 1-1/8in steerer is 33.4mm.

my mates mum was given this a few years ago... wonder if she's still got it?
i feel a project coming on... even though it's about 5 sizes too small for me!

dsc01425_178.jpg

Back