Bontrager Race Lite

Yetidh9":w3gbbxuz said:
What kind of brake arch do you have on that mag21? Something stiffer that will counteract the skinny hope hub? :)

Some better shots of the brace for you mate.

benbonty":inkuh9bh said:

Thanks for the better pictures of the arch... Cant say that I actually finds that it goes well with the sleek, rounded thin design of the frame, fork, handlbars etc.... To my opinion it is a bit to much cnc work of art.... But a very cool part indeed!

From your pictures I just envy you the bar/stem combo even more. I once bought a set of them at a clearence sale back in the 90'es... but just to hecksaw the stem off so I could use the bars for my Easton alu bike. What a mess! :-(

Yetidh9":18sbbmez said:
Thanks for the better pictures of the arch... Cant say that I actually finds that it goes well with the sleek, rounded thin design of the frame, fork, handlbars etc.... To my opinion it is a bit to much cnc work of art.... But a very cool part indeed!

From your pictures I just envy you the bar/stem combo even more. I once bought a set of them at a clearence sale back in the 90'es... but just to hecksaw the stem off so I could use the bars for my Easton alu bike. What a mess! :-(

I know what you mean about the arch mate, I had an AC version that I tried previously on this but it looked far too big and chunky, this one looks much better, I'll make a final decision when I source some suitable canti's.......

The bar/stem combos are great aren't they, can't believe you hacked one up!!

New brakes! Finally got the brakes I wanted, a beautiful set of Avid Tri Aligns from mr Dreambikes (thank you mate!). Superb functioning and light cantis, as used my Jason McRoy (If they were good enough for him, I'll take that as recommendation). They came fitted with a very lovely set of WTB pads too!

I also decided to try the original brace on the Mag21 as I started to think the Kooka one didn't quite work aesthetically with the slender lines of the Bonty. Please excuse the phone pics, the red is actually very vivid and not faded at all but the pics don't do it justice. I would've preferred black to keep the low key look on track, but I'm happy with the way these look too.

SPEC LIST UPDATE!

Frame: 1993 Bontrager Race Lite
Fork: Rock Shox Mag 21 with Bontrager Crown - I have a Kooka Brace for these in black which I will probably fit, however, it has no holes for springs so will limit the canti choices rather drastically...

Headset: FSA - This is the headset that came with the frame, but I'm not a fan and this will be changed when I find something suitable. I was thinking perhaps a King rasta, but not sure if I want to use any colours yet.
Stem: Bontrager with integrated bar - beautiful stem with my favourite bar bonded and riveted in to save weight. perfect.
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite - bonded to stem - as above
Grips: ODI Tomac Attack - my favourite grips of all time, so pleased that they are still available new!

Brakes: Avid Tri-Align in red
Brake Pads: WTB but will probably replace with Real Designs as this will be a rider and the WTB are very difficult to replace. I have lots of replacement pads for the Real pad holders too
Brake Cables: Clarks - had these laying around but might put something nicer on.....
Cantilever cable hangers: Avid Tri-Dangle in red
Brake Levers: Real Designs CNC - Black - I've always been a fan of these lever and had them in stock. they're beautifully engineered and in keeping with the black theme!

Shifters: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Front Derailleur: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Rear Derailleur: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Derailleur Cables: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Cassette: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Chain: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Cranks: Race Face Turbine I Beam - My current favourite cranks, for me these are the ultimate blend of style and durability.
Crank Bolts: SRP Alu - Decent quality 90's bling but in black!
Chainrings: Need Help with this one...... any suggestions?
Chainring bolts: SRP Alu - Decent quality 90's bling but in black!
Bottom Bracket: Shimano M730 - May change this for something a little more lightweight... I love them but they're real heavy!
Pedals: Not sure yet..... may go for some period flats or clip/strap pedals......

Hub Skewers: Gonzo Titanium Mudslinger Ratchets - Super rare and super light titanium lovelyness!
Rims: Mavic X117 SUP - Great rims but a little too modern, will have the decals removed and perhaps some period ones fitted.
Hubs: Hope Titanium - Ultralight Front/Ti Glide Rear - Fantastic hubs, titanium bodies and silver alu flanges. ultralight front is probably not ideal with the sus forks, but they look lovely and are super light!
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Ritchey Duro - Awesome tyres, look and ride great
Tubes: Continental - what I had around!

Saddle: Specialized/WTB Prolong Ti - My dream saddle back in 1992 (If i were to dream about saddles!) super light and super comfy.
Seatpost: Bontrager/Titec - Came with the frame, it's fairly light and I like it.... so its staying!
Seatpost Binder: Bontrager - Standard CNC Bontrager clamp with rubber gaiter. simple and effective.

novekili":1s39g6ds said:
Not a single speed please!!!!!

Just wanting to try something different mate, I have two other race lites with gears, two OR with gears and a privateer comp with gears........

Ah OK... just hate seeing these gems turned into SS... but if you have other geared models.... Always wanted one, but when the right moment arrived, the only thing which popped out was an IF. Not that I'm complaining about that, but a Bonty would have been great, too... Can't afford more than 2 bikes....

novekili":1y3qo60b said:
Ah OK... just hate seeing this gems turned into SS..

I agree mate.... It'll probably end up with gears to be honest, might go through a transitional SS phase so that I can ride it whilst I'm waiting for parts.

Back