Demon Frameworks mtb, pro pics on page 14! update 25/12/21

jonnyboy666":n1y21xlx said:
did you read any of the thread? the lady whose bike it is had the lugs designed to match a tattoo she has, she effectively designed them in a flat form and then Tom made them three dimensional.

Awesome.

:cool: :cool:

I did mate, sat on the sofa last night trying to hide it from the missus so she doesn't get any ideas!

This i a good thread.

I ride a custom, british built rigid steel MTB.
It was built at a shop I worked at, The tubes are Colombus Foco, which is a high end road racing tubeset, but in its infancy I did crack the r/h chain stay, so those are now Reynolds 725.
The builder of mine was Kevin Sayles, ex Woodrupp torchman. He might be back there now for all I know. In any case, the unique touches & options you get from going custom is what makes it all worthwhile. I don't envy you having to choose a paint scheme though........

so i went to see Tom at Demon again today, my clockwork has been languishing in his workshop for about 2 months! i try not to ride it in the winter and he was using it to take sizes off etc.

we had a chat about the frame and also thought about paint etc. Tom asked if i'd had any thoughts on anything else so i told him i wanted to name the bike. i have decided it will be called "legion" as in 'for we are many' referring to the devil and also the fact i have loads of bikes!! :LOL: it seemed to suit.

so this set me thinking about the paint, there is a custom air brush option at his painters so i'm wondering about some kind of demonic picture/logo somewhere on the frame. the main thing with that though is making sure whatever done is not in any way cheesy! you know, when you have an idea and it sounds cool and in your head you picture it but then when it's translated to artwork it looks crap! so it needs some real thought.

also Tom is off to the North American Handmade bicycle show in a couple of weeks, so today i found him starting to build the frames for that event! cutting it fine!! :shock: he's taking a track/fixie and a road bike. he showed me the head lugs for one of them, the 'manhatten' design looks awesome! :cool: and he told me what he was doing finish wise and that should be very cool aswel. also he showed me the specs for the bikes, cliff at royce must have been happy with that sale!!! :shock: not to mention all the super record from campagnolo! :shock:

also he gave me a prezzie!:D
(sorry for the crappy pic!)

Attachments

• demon t.jpg
    demon t.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,312
aaargh, Monty you terrible tease!

there's me thinking it was going to be some pictures...still. nice to know its still trickling along, and good freebie action there Jon

Had a look at your links, very interesting. I think you've made a good choice there. Looking forward to updates.

sort of an update about Tom as opposed to my build, i went to my old shop today, last week when i went in i bumped into Tom but this week i found Gary, the owner building Tom's wheels for the NAHBS. it's nice to know that this stuff is going to one of (in my opinion) the most important bike shows in the world today.

BLING BLING! doesn't quite do them justice! :shock: :shock:

Royce-tastic! :D

here's a couple of pics, one pair is royce track hubs on a rim i don't recognise but apparently it's japanese, the other pair is royce on ambrosio. the 3rd pic is gary building one of the track wheels. gary is a pretty handy rider himself, think he's down to around 22mins for a 10 mile TT and about 55mins for a 25.

Attachments

• wb3.jpg
    wb3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,180
  • wb2.jpg
    wb2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,180
  • wb1.jpg
    wb1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,180
he showed me how he does it aswel :D very impressive.

his attention to detail is amazing, also that frame was painted twice, he wasn't happy with the first job so before even showing the customer he sent it away again, his attitude being if i am not happy with it she isn't getting it till i am. i should add that Julia, the owner, did know this.

it also took 2 full weeks to make the frame, because of the lug work involved, he usually takes around a week to make a frame.

i am so looking forward to getting mine. in my opinion we are witnessing the birth of a future classic craftsman. i think in a few years time his frames will be sought after, and i'll beable to say, i have one of his first mtb frames. i think he said mine will be the 3rd. the first being his jump bike, the 2nd being the frame pictured early by me in this thread.

i should add that the NAHBS bikes will be at mosquito bikes in london after the show then they are going to the bespoked bristol show.

:D

Latest posts

Back