The cost of fuel and Retrobike rides...

markoc":3barwx93 said:
I'm not arguing it hasn't increased. It clearly has. My point is that an extra £5 or £10 on a tank of petrol can be offset by making choices elsewhere in terms of the use of disposable cash.

I think you might find it has reached the point for some people where the family takes priority over the cost of visiting a bike ride. £10 on a tank of petrol is a lot for one journey - adds a £5 to the cost of a normal Macretro run for me. It means I have cut back on rides I travel to and parts buying in favour of keeping the kids treats like the once a month chinese carryout.

I'm not hard up either but I think everyone is feeling the impact of the petrol price rises either through their cars or at the supermarket. I just think it is getting to the point where everyone has noticed the increases and it will get worse before it gets better.

The Ken":3il60yk1 said:
markoc":3il60yk1 said:
I'm not arguing it hasn't increased. It clearly has. My point is that an extra £5 or £10 on a tank of petrol can be offset by making choices elsewhere in terms of the use of disposable cash.

I think you might find it has reached the point for some people where the family takes priority over the cost of visiting a bike ride. £10 on a tank of petrol is a lot for one journey - adds a £5 to the cost of a normal Macretro run for me. It means I have cut back on rides I travel to and parts buying in favour of keeping the kids treats like the once a month chinese carryout.

I'm not hard up either but I think everyone is feeling the impact of the petrol price rises either through their cars or at the supermarket. I just think it is getting to the point where everyone has noticed the increases and it will get worse before it gets better.

I think that's the point, it's not getting to the point where people can't afford the fuel, it's just it's a much limiting factor if you want to go on a lot of rides, the proportion of money spent on fuel is much higher.

The Lakes trip cost me about £75 in accomodation and fuel, so I suppose it wasn't that bad BUT I've got a 50mpg company car that I don't have to pay any maintenance towards and I stayed in a nice B+B for one night.

Mind you, I did drive the whole way with the cruise control at 60mph, which can get a bit tedious!!

i rode my moped to my girfriends last week, 132mile on back roads, great fun, even at 50mph but had to fill up twice (£7 a tank) and it took 3.5hrs rather than 2.5hrs in the car, the car being £30 there too.

wouldnt like to do it each weekend though!

my £500 a month running costs for the car was shocking, hence im calming it for awhile.

If your doing fifty mph on a moped then its a souped up ilegal moped as Moped in the UK refers to a powered 2 wheeler with an engine capacity of 50cc or less and a top speed of 30mph give or take 5mph :shock:

I ride a 250cc scooter and people keep calling it a moped which is an insult frankly. Scooter does not equal moped unless it is a moped. Sorry rant over :oops:

But yes even running a bike is getting pricey and covering distance regularly on a small engined bike is not fun .

Hmm gents, this is a bike forum, here's a hint, set yourself a minimum drive distance based on load and cycle the rest. i.e. a trip for 6 pints of milk and bread should for most on here, be done on a bike. No-one's going to do the weekly shop with panniers! When you cycle the 10mile round trip to the post office to pick up bike parts, it tends to keep the Mrs' moaning at bay!

How much do you spend driving to work? Could you take a lesser paid job near to home and walk or cycle and be better off?

FYI I cycle everyday to work and the Mrs walks. It makes such a difference to our financial outgoings!

elPedro666":145ngohw said:
But like folks have said, drive steady (I get TWICE the mileage at 60mph that I get at 75! :shock:), squeeze others in the car and just bite it (if you can) because the riding, the bikes and the people of RB are always well worth it! ;) :cool:

For that to be true I suspect you must drive a guzzling 4x4 or largeish van?

Ride locally

it may mean it isnt a "retro ride", but all that really means is your riding buddies will have less mechanicals.

and be less cool of course.

Do what Rob Atkins did, sell enough stuff at the meet to finance the fuel and accomodation.

gtRTSdh":2jquvtnv said:
elPedro666":2jquvtnv said:
But like folks have said, drive steady (I get TWICE the mileage at 60mph that I get at 75! :shock:), squeeze others in the car and just bite it (if you can) because the riding, the bikes and the people of RB are always well worth it! ;) :cool:

For that to be true I suspect you must drive a guzzling 4x4 or largeish van?

Never! You have permission to shoot me if I ever buy a 4x4 that isn't destined for the mud. A van on the other hand would be very handy!

But neither, it's an old LPG Volvo, because I'm hating the fuel prices too.

I'm slowly working my way through replies I've missed... :oops:

elPedro666":30uu9zu9 said:
Never! You have permission to shoot me if I ever buy a 4x4 that isn't destined for the mud. A van on the other hand would be very handy!

But neither, it's an old LPG Volvo, because I'm hating the fuel prices too.

I'm slowly working my way through replies I've missed... :oops:

Perhaps I should've said hideously unaerodynamic, that would have covered the Volvo. Both our beemeres are on LPG power and economy.

My fuel consumption only drops 20% with cruise set at 95, Kilometers officer, compared to normal driving.

Back