Fluid for Shimano disc brakes?

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I fitted new longer hoses to my XT 765 dual control disc brakes.

Do they need mineral oil or Dot 4 fluid to bleed em up?

I don't think they have the proper shimano fluid in them as that is Pink i think? and the fluid that came out was a golden/clear colour.

Mineral oil.

Golden clear sound slike DOT.

I think your right about the pink stuff, i know the tektro oil is pink. Although i have used green mineral oil before.

mineral oil; shimano is red, magura is blue.

a trip to halfords will fix you out.

as VVVVV says, there is the citroen oil. I was gonna mention, think it is steering oil..... a google should reveal all.

LHM Plus for Citron and Rolls Royce brakes.Made by an English company called Morris
Not to be used where a dot or vegetable type fluid is specified
Other than the above anything.
Hell of a lot cheaper and available in most car shops ;)

Thats the green stuff i mentioned!

Get a big bottle for a helluva lot cheaper than mtb stuff, can be obtained from halfords for less than a tenner i think.

If there's been DOT in your Shimanos they won't work. The seals die very quickly indeed.

Shimano oil is pink, like Tektro.

BUT it loses its colour over time and turns transluscent brown.

Only way to find out is to put it in some oil that you do know what it is - if it separates - it was the other kind.

Also if you know what to sniff after - you can smell if it's right or not.

But basically if the oil has been there for more than a week and the brakes aren't leaking, it's mineral.

dbmtb":1kl9ethy said:
If there's been DOT in your Shimanos they won't work. The seals die very quickly indeed.

Shimano oil is pink, like Tektro.

BUT it loses its colour over time and turns transluscent brown.

Only way to find out is to put it in some oil that you do know what it is - if it separates - it was the other kind.

Also if you know what to sniff after - you can smell if it's right or not.

But basically if the oil has been there for more than a week and the brakes aren't leaking, it's mineral.

Shimano is all mineral and any mineral will do.
You can drink it though i wouldnt recommend doing so ;) :LOL:

dyna-ti":3l2mnzri said:
Shimano is all mineral and any mineral will do.

You'd be surprised how many warranty claims I ended up rejecting as people had used DOT....

Back