frame building - has anyone done it?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm unaware of any framebuilders on the forum, but was wondering if anyone has ever built their own frame? It's something I'd like to try, and while I'm very mechanically minded and good at hands on stuff, it's not something I've tried before. I don't want anything flash, actually quite the opposite, and starting with tubs and lugs will probably be best (although I much prefer the look of fillet brazing). I have some definite ideas of what I want to do (nothing radical!), and at the moment getting a custom frame built is well out of the question, as is one of the framebuilding courses available.

Ceeway have tube and lug kits, and practice parts available too. I'd need to make a basic jig myself, but that shouldn't be too hard. I'm not sure what sort of torch will be required or where to get one, but other than that I think I have everything else needed.

So, does anyone have any advice? tips? things to do or avoid? Is it possible for a decent home mechanic to make a reasonable frame on a budget?

cheers, Andy

Been looking into this myself recently although admittedly more for frame repairs rather than a complete build. I found Ceeway too and was amazed at the selection of bits!

As usual there are lots of how - to's on youtube, for instance

http://youtu.be/JHAuqvR26qk

The brazing kit and gas bottle is easily available too....

My first job was repairing all the leadwork for English heritage's damaged and aged lead hoppers and gargoles so I'm hoping I still have it :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
thanks, that's all pretty useful. I think the main doubts I have are about making sure the joint is filled completely with brazing material, and how to keep alignment (or at least, how not to let it get too misaligned during brazing, so that it can be straightened once finished)

As with most things, I probably won't get around to doing it for weeks, months, or even years, but it's nice to think about it and plan ahead!

cheers, Andy

has anyone done it?

Yup
this is Scarlett, built for Mr Evilgoat

Attachments

• apocafix 002.jpg
    apocafix 002.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,006
Everything I have ever read about frame building says the novice usually screws up the first couple of frames. So the advice goes — don't use expensive tubing for your first frames.

Pondlife — your frame look gorgeous! How many have you built? [/b]

dont get hung up about having a jig ,a vice,straight edge and an engineers protractor is all you need to start with.
Sealey do some decent torches ,you will need brazing goggles,brass rod and flux

I've built a few using clamps, chocks and lots of careful measurement. Mine have all been plain mild steel and MIG welded. I could imagine if I were going to build a number of frames a jig would come in very handy because you can just set up all the tubes onto it and braze away.

Back