1993-94 Specialized S-Works Epic Ultimate

ameybrook":3w2y58vd said:
scant":3w2y58vd said:
doctor-bond":3w2y58vd said:
That's really very special, well done sir. How many were made in total?

in the very early 90s the epic ultimate was pretty popular, the specialized anniversary book states around 1500-2000.
mombat states 170 for the 92 year
http://mombat.org/1992_Specialized_Ultimate.htm

older merlin frame numbers are normally stamped into the inside face of the drive side dropout. it might be hidden under the paint.

I think you're wrong! ;) Sure they made 1500-2000 Epics, but no way did they make that many with ti lugs. I'm sticking with 500... but I'll check that book later.

you checked the book yet? looks like you're wrong ;) around 1500.. okay 2000 was a tad too much, but that was from memory, without checking the book ;)

stunning bike & cool future k-ville winner :cool:

Dhphat":au1zlzbl said:
Archangel":au1zlzbl said:
ameybrook":au1zlzbl said:
scant":au1zlzbl said:
in the very early 90s the epic ultimate was pretty popular, the specialized anniversary book states around 1500-2000.
mombat states 170 for the 92 year
http://mombat.org/1992_Specialized_Ultimate.htm

older merlin frame numbers are normally stamped into the inside face of the drive side dropout. it might be hidden under the paint.

I think you're wrong! ;) Sure they made 1500-2000 Epics, but no way did they make that many with ti lugs. I'm sticking with 500... but I'll check that book later.

They sure made a lot more "basic" Epics than Ultimates. Mind you, the 1st Gen Epic was around already in the latter part of the 80s. They were all crmo lugged ones and the portion of carbon was way less compared to the later models.
The 2nd Gen model with ti lugs was first used by Spesh riders in 1990 Worlds and Ned had a special one with super light tubing. The first production models were sold in 1991. Stumpjumper Epic was the crmo lugged one and Stumpjumper Epic Ultimate was the ti lugged version.
With the introduction of S-Works line, the models were renamed as S-Works Carbon and S-Works Ultimate. The frames were the same, only decals and lug & tube coloring was differing between 1991 and 1995.

Here's the rundown of Ultimates:
1991: Stumpjumper Epic Ultimate: black hued tubes, black lugs (painted)
1992: S-Works Ultimate: green or red hued tubes (or combo), black lugs
1993: S-Works Ultimate: similar to 1993
1994: S-Works Ultimate: black hued tubes, silver lugs (painted)
1995: S-Works Ultimate: similar to 1994, limited to 60 pieces, each with number plate

Mine's 1991 Ultimate and its serial is #3441.

This thread made me curious, so I dug out my copy of the 25th anniversary of the Stumpjumper, that Sinyard gave me at a dealer event. they have a big write up on this in their, and i took a picture of the stats. It looks like 1,500 were sold between 1990-1995.

IMG_1564 by 66bc7d160a798ea8f803c0ab203cb7b5, on Flickr

I can see why mike thought 1500 was too much. 300 frames a year seems like a lot. A few years back you might see 1 or 2 of these frames for sale a month. more recent years its been a lot less. I guess like a lot of bike companies no really updated records were kept of actual frames produced & sold.
certainly, as specialized flagship frame for 5years they're still pretty rare.

Rio":1sbb4b2a said:
cchris2lou":1sbb4b2a said:
a few companies like Proshift made some adaptators

Thanks!

@Mike; are these the ones you are using on your bike?

No. I can't remember the group, but its from a low-end (think Acera) Shimano shifter. I needed to modify the mounting holes a bit, but it works. Stripped and slightly buffed, you'd never know it came from cheaper group.

I'd pay for a polished set of Graftons though.

@ Scant - looks like you're right. ;) Thing about Keyesville is, you gotta be able to get it down the hill too.

Selling my '92-'93 Epic Ultimate

The Epic is one of my all time favorite bikes.
I raced a steel-lugged Epic from '91 to'94, but always lusted after the Ultimate.
Found a good deal on one in '00 and have ridden it occasionally since, but am now selling the frame to finance my new bike.
Currently on eBay, Item #150771856364

For the right price I'll cancel the auction and sell it direct. Let me know if you're interested.

Back