Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ Aftermath

Highlights for me:

- staying in a lovely B+B the night before so I was fresh for the ride
- the fab beer and banter in the pub the night before
- meeting Daj by chance on the lake road the night before
- the fantastic start point - can't get much better than that location
- scenery, well, amazing!
- that big hole in the ground with no fence round it - blimey it was huuuuuuge!
- the ace route - before lunch we seemed to gain height relatively easily in short bursts that I could cope with
- not being at the back due to losing weight and training
- the lunch stop, everything you want really
- that last downhill - eventually finding some air time - woohoo! errr sorry I couldn't stop at the bottom..... ;-)
- BigEck, just a legend, a true legend.. :cool:
- meeting the MacRetro guys for the first time, a great bunch of guys

Downsides (but still good memories)

- no brakes!
- noisy brakes! (sorry guys)
- 3rd retro bike for me and the 3rd that won't shift into the granny ring. grrrrr!
- that uphill from the lunch stop, that just kept on giving, didn't it? If it had been smoother it would have been real fun, but I suppose you gotta give the 6" travel boys something to make the bike worthwhile. ;-)
- feeling a bit rough after lunch
- hardly selling any gear at the end - everyone was skint!

I will be back next year, for sure, really hope to see everyone again and I hope I can remeber some names this time... :roll:

Well chaps and lady what a great day out that was, really enjoyed the racing uphills with dsp and the downhills with harrycrumb, grizedale descent was awsome,
great to meet the chap who built my forks too,
and also great to meet the macretro clan at last, big eck made my day with his raleigh, uber cool.
there where a lots of hot metal on show this weekend with only a handfull of breakdowns, cheers to those who helped us with the gates etc
and hats off to those travelling to the lakes from a-far.
only got a couple of pics,

IMAG1966.jpg

IMAG1967.jpg

IMAG1971.jpg

IMAG1974.jpg

IMAG1973.jpg

IMAG1972.jpg

IMAG1975.jpg

IMAG1976.jpg

IMAG1978.jpg

IMAG1979.jpg

IMAG1982.jpg

see you all soon,
Lee.

Another great day out with Retrobike - thanks to Paul and Lee for organising and also thanks to Bikefood for their support once again..

Always great to get out on the rides with other like minded souls, good to be reminded as to why I do this.

Highlights

*Great ride and great company as ever. Top mix of natural and man made trails.
*The retro metal. Once again almost 100% old school.
*The weather. Almost balmy for the Lakes in February.
*Eck on his Massif - hats off to you sir.
*The big pit. Reminded me slightly of 'Breaking Away' but far less inviting and with far fewer (i.e. none) college chicks hanging around.
*The cafe. Yes, it was costly but it was warm as was the food. 80p for a Mars bar stung a bit though.
*Meeting the chap on the Bonty Race Light - nice timing!

Only real downer was damaging my back wheel following a moment of inattention- sure I'm not the first to have cracked their rim on one of Paul's rides.

P1010150 by John@Retrobike, on Flickr

Still, it got round. Maybe I'll post up in the forum for advice on repair. Then again, maybe not.

Might just be me left yet to still wash their bike ...But what the heck is the smell thats in the grime?!!? :shock:

drystonepaul":nc6eu4ru said:
John":nc6eu4ru said:
Another great day out with Retrobike - thanks to Paul and Lee for organising...

And not forgetting Martin, aka HarryCrumb.

Yes of course, knew I'd forget someone. Thanks (and apologies) to Martin.

Hi, glad the weather held out - the pics look great - it was great to meet everybody and see some great bikes.

I was really saddened at having to leave the ride just as it was getting interesting (at the big hole). Everybody was really nice and the bikes were great- just as well I did though as I was pretty poorly for the next couple of days. :cry: At least I've got the next event to look forward to.

hopefully next time I'll get a bit further!

Thanks

Andy

...looks fun. :D I am hoping to attend the Thetford ride soon for my first retro ride, but as i am a bit old and 'lardy' :oops: but still enjoy retro bikes, is there a 'slower' group for us, or is it just for the hardcore whippets! :?

Really should upload my pics, but that means digging the camera out from the camelbak!

Maybe later tonight for the few pics that I took, shame I was at the back of the pack as I didn't get to take any pics of anyone riding, just bikes leant against things

Back