Fitness and weight loss milestone passed yesterday....

Rob Atkin":1a5tjev4 said:
I can't go too thin anyway as I have a MASSIVE head

Didn't bother The Mekon.

Interesting read so far this thread.

I do a martial art, cycle some, eat a very healthy diet.

Right now I am bumping fifteen and a half stone at six two, large build.

My best weight is usually 14 and a half odds.

This is how I see it.

It is more important to exercise regularly than anything else. Making it part of your life, not some temporary activity to achieve some aim.

Build as many exercise activities into your life as possible.

Change jobs, home or whatever you need to do to get more active.

It is a facet of lifestyle, not so much to do with self discipline.

Most intelligent people cannot rationalise spending several hours a day in a gym or whatever.

Walking on the beach with the kids, running with your dogs, cycling or flying a kite, etc. All of these are enjoyable, and do the same job as the gym.

Diet is so important, and as I see it you need to take a whole family/household approach to this.

Our fridge is full of veg and salad.

Cheese is low fat cottage cheese, or good quality extra mature used in small amounts.

Most ingredients we use are low fat, low salt and low sugar.

The unhealthy things are used sparingly.

This is not to say things are boring, for example good quality sausages are usually lower in fat, salt and sugar.

When you come in from a run, and you crave food, if all you have in the place is good food you cannot go wrong.

We make salad every day, and it is there whenever you want to dip in.

It is hard to eat badly in this house.

When round at some of my pals I am amazed, after coming in from playing football or kayaking they open a cupboard full of crisps and shove pizzas in the oven.

I would totally agree with you there. Eating healthily and doing any form of exercise has to become natural. Unfortunately I don't have any willpower so what I'm trying to do is force my eating/exercise lifestyle back on track with a strict plan. I think it's working too as I actually look forward to having a run and I'm really enjoying eating more fruit and salad, plus cutting down portion sizes. I do still crave to feel "full" - which was just stuffing myself silly - and just realise I just need to feel "not hungry" and that's enough!!
I also needed to get out of the habit of buying chocolate during the day (which is hard working in an office) and eating tons of snacks in the evening - which I've been successful at.
I had to go away for a course which involved travelling by train a few hours and a stop in a hotel. I was amazed as I just couldn't find anything healthy to eat while travelling (wasn't practical to take food with me, especially on way back). I totally sympathise with people who travel a lot for work - its near impossible to eat healthily when you're not at home. While I was away even though I tried hard I ate way more calories than my diet plan suggested and even way more than standard recommended amount for anyone my age.

Hey

Great job! Just keep at it and you'll get there. Its all about the perseverance :)

My husband is in a similar situation, he has also downloaded the calorie counter app on his phone. He is quite shocked at how many calories are in a Pizza for instance. I did say to him that its all about moderation, and that you shouldnt be eating these things everyday but from time to time.

I guess we werent designed to eat these sort of processed things. Shame that they are incredibly yummy.

Ang

Just dipped slightly below 14st today. Aiming for 13st7lbs in 3 weeks as I have a wedding to go to. 2lb a week as usual should get me to that if I stick to the plan.

Had a rough week last week at home and ate a lot of nice dinners and no running done. But I kept it healthy when I could and I didn't seem to put weight on. Phew!

Had to be strong yesterday and get back on track so did a 3 mile run and ate well. Got good food ready to eat again so no reason why I shouldn't do well.

Did a free health assessment last week at work - cholesterol is 4.6 which is excellent - great news as I know it was a bit high 5 years ago.

Hi everyone!!

Weighed myself today and now at 13st8lbs. So 33lbs lost altogether!!! :LOL: :LOL:

I am now running regular 5km "Parkruns" and have got my time down from 35mins on the first one to 30m12s last weekend. Not bad for someone who couldn't run for more than 30s 5 months ago... :shock: :D
My legs look bloomin' awesome after all the running..

It's been a bit difficult the last few weeks with Easter time and everything...so the weight loss has slowed down a bit but I'm keeping on track with it.

I've gone down 5 notches on my favourite leather belt...another 3 to go to get back to the old marks on it to what size I used to be. All my clothes are very big now, especially the trousers which are ridiculously big....

Cycling has improved loads, at least when I manage to get out on the bike. The Thetford National ride was great. I'm not used to cycling in flat areas and it was pretty fast in the afternoon but I kept up with some fastish riders (in my book anyway!) which was very pleasing.

I'd like to lose another 22lbs to get to 12st. Still got a belly to get rid of and some excess flab in various places still but I know that'll be the last to go....

nice work Rob - feels great huh?
I lost 70lb last year and am now the same weight as when I was 18.

try reading 'the diet delusion' for a great insight into food myths and diet peddling.
for me the breakthrough has been cutting right back (i mean right back - to almost zero) on refined carbs.
no rice, bread, spuds, cereals, pasta, simple sugars.
Also, no drinking calories, juices etc. A few simple carbs when training still make a nice treat though!
The book I mentioned above will be like a revelation for you.

Keep it up, youre almost as fast as this fatty over 5k now! (im heading out tonight to set a PB for you to chase).

KeepItSteel":4bvbo4in said:
nice work Rob - feels great huh?
I lost 70lb last year and am now the same weight as when I was 18.

try reading 'the diet delusion' for a great insight into food myths and diet peddling.
for me the breakthrough has been cutting right back (i mean right back - to almost zero) on refined carbs.
no rice, bread, spuds, cereals, pasta, simple sugars.
Also, no drinking calories, juices etc. A few simple carbs when training still make a nice treat though!
The book I mentioned above will be like a revelation for you.

Keep it up, youre almost as fast as this fatty over 5k now! (im heading out tonight to set a PB for you to chase).
70lbs is serious weight loss - kudos.

Challenge, now, is maintaining it - probably the biggest challenge, really.

Read some of Taubes stuff before. A tip for you - read Lyle's forums (or his more mean forums - no suprise, me being drawn to monkeyisland...) - his books are very good (all in ebook format) and his books whilst not cheap (all ebooks) are very good - the flexible diet book probably very helpful for you. Personally I found the bromo book really informative (not strictly about bromo, but it's such a good grounding in the stuff that matters).

Well done to all the ex fatties. I have started to do something about my general shape and fitness. Cant say my diet is going to improve (it wont) but I am going to be doing something about my fitness. My god I thought I was going to die doing my first proper ride in about 18 years today. Aiming to improve that tho. Legs felt like jelly.

Given my recent episode losing consciousness and falling off my bike, I have been told the problem is I don't eat enough my blood sugar is too low and as I am always cold and suffer dizzy spells on standing up there are doctor like noises about being tested for diabetes, oh fab.

Blood pressure is on the very low side so the doc is happy about that and my weight is ok for my size, but I have to start eating properly, 33p a day meals is plain not enough and I know it, oh and I really have to quit smoking, for it is part of the eating problem.

So these past two days out has gone the rice and noodles, in has come the oven chips and bread crumb covered whatevers, as at least it is meat of some sort, a case of don't think about what it is, just eat it. But already only a couple of days in to eating more and things are starting to pick up, so much so for the fun of it I delved into my vitamin supplements and had fun with a niacin buzz.

But a place that inspires on the net, a place for the unhealthy to get better without all the sportsmen obblox that puts many an unhealthy person off ;

http://www.livestrong.com/man/fitness/

Back