Rocky Mountain "Syncros" Expérience (COMPLETED)

John, I blame you for my Syncros insanity. :twisted: What have you DONE to me??? :roll: Quote from you in my 1992 Blizzard thread early on when I first stumbled across RB…

John":1bmtz7o2 said:
All rocky mountains need syncros - it's the law ;)

Nice to see you got one - you're still in line for mine if I ever decide to sell and I'd sort it out for a price that you could afford ;-) .

Anyway - nice to see its been treated to some nice kit - stuff I could never afford.

My Experience is great to ride - uphill it's amazing, grips on loose stuff even when your weight is well forward and out of the saddle. On technical stuff is amazing, you never get pedal strikes because of the high BB.
I was expecting it to be harsh due to the large Ali tubes but it was really comfy all day. I didn't have big tyres on or a flexy post either.
Very good downhill too - you kinda felt like you were perched on top of it but it was never a problem, just something you noticed then forgot about.
I don't think you need suspension forks on it if you choose the right rigid forks.

Mines going to get Maguras on it one day as its so fun to ride you find yourself going too fast for canti's!!

I spent a lot of money on the original spec 13-32 HG70 cassette and it was worthwhile, this bike can climb like no other!

Can't wait to see progress....

so first thing that needs to be sorted after I give the frame a good go over to clean/tidy it up is to address my front wheel and fork issue. it's been radial laced and unfortunately, the spokes have been laced outbound. because of this, there's not enough clearance between the spokes and the fork drop-outs. :( i've checked other forks i have on hand and there's no clearance issue, ONLY with the powerlite fork :roll:

i also have another radial laced front wheel and spokes have been laced inbound, and there's plenty of clearance. so my solution to this, have the wheel relaced with the spokes inbound.

Attachments

• IMG_2294.JPG
    IMG_2294.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,952
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,953
RockiMtn":2v7ogx4y said:
so first thing that needs to be sorted after I give the frame a good go over to clean/tidy it up is to address my front wheel and fork issue. it's been radial laced and unfortunately, the spokes have been laced outbound. because of this, there's not enough clearance between the spokes and the fork drop-outs. :( i've checked other forks i have on hand and there's no clearance issue, ONLY with the powerlite fork :roll:

i also have another radial laced front wheel and spokes have been laced inbound, and there's plenty of clearance. so my solution to this, have the wheel relaced with the spokes inbound.

I'd prefer a properly laced 2/3 cross wheel, protects the hubs, tension can be higher, stays truer longer... this isn't the sort of bike for a "racers" look IMHO.

Rob Atkin":3ewmjouf said:
RockiMtn":3ewmjouf said:

I'd prefer a properly laced 2/3 cross wheel, protects the hubs, tension can be higher, stays truer longer... this isn't the sort of bike for a "racers" look IMHO.

building a radial lace is supposed to take more skills to do properly compared to 2/3 cross, so in that sense i hear you. however my rear is radial laced on the drive side and crossed on the other, so in keeping, i'd like to keep the front laced the way it came to me.

good read here…

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#radial

i'm a syncros whore… yes i am… yes i am. :oops:

maybe it wouldn't be so bad if i wasn't also a Rocky Mountain and Race Face whore. :(

Attachments

• IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,250
  • IMG_2425.JPG
    IMG_2425.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,251
Half way with the skewers, but a full set none the less. Thanks goes to a very generous Corduroyboy. now does anyone got a matching rear? :)

Attachments

• IMG_2766.JPG
    IMG_2766.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,182
Back