Raleigh Single Speed

gerryattrick":1kh7k4ed said:
No comment, just replying to keep this in my posts for info, as I've just bought an 87 (I think it is because of the u-brakes) Montage.
You could at least comment something... :roll:

Just been given one of these and your work has proper inspired me, google showed me the way! Have to say i loved how it looked all clean and singlespeed but can also see how it is more practical with gears.... gotta make my mind up on this one as its hilly here.....

Absolutely love this build.
I spotted it in the show us your steel thread and had to track down the build thread. Despite the fact that there are some truly sweet high end steelies in there, this old Raleigh is the one that has captured my imagination.
Love it. :D

Thanks, funny t see how many people like this.
It costed me about 100 euro's to build, the tires costed half of that.
I rode it a lot, but now it is gone, to many bikes and the paint got bad.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have one of these frames from off here.

It's only frame and forks though and needs repainting if I'm to restore it.

Going to singlespeed it as well like Jamis Diablo did once.

Just wondering, can anyone tell me which BB's would fit and how I'd go about removing the current one and which headset size I'd need and any recommendations?

Think I'm going to go against building it from retro parts and go modern and new with it all but with the retro frame.

Hi, BB is standard 68mm square taper.
The headset is standard 1" threaded.
The fork inner diameter and therefore the the stem outer diameter isn't the standard 22,2mm but 21,1 mm and those stems are pretty hard to find.
So I hope you have the matching stem.

Thanks mate, funny to see a < €75 build gets a lot of nice comments.
And got the most views of at least the first 5 pages in Reader's MTBs > '97 :cool:

It just goes to show it is not how much money you spend, but the quality of the thought that goes behind it. You have made a really beautiful bike there :D

Re:

May be getting one of these next week. Was thinking a single speed for ease. I was wondering if you could give me a final spec of yours and repost some pictures as the early ones from this thread aren't showing?

Help would be much appreciated!

Back