Carbon Vs Alloy testing

Im not sure it was just to get people onside with their carbon frames, to be fair I would imagine the profit on alu frames is much higher then that of carbon fibre (but im probably wrong??) and they do the frame in both materials. I think it's definately a material that splits people, im all for hi-tec materials but I also appreciate good quality steel and aluminium, hell I even like those plastic volvo things!

jskdog":1mftcxhp said:
Im not sure it was just to get people onside with their carbon frames, to be fair I would imagine the profit on alu frames is much higher then that of carbon fibre (but im probably wrong??) and they do the frame in both materials. I think it's definately a material that splits people, im all for hi-tec materials but I also appreciate good quality steel and aluminium, hell I even like those plastic volvo things!

They are a respected crew, and I believe their results.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a decent steel frame in the mix?

No issue with them promoting their frame material choice, if that is what the game is, but I question the competitive advantage for the majority of users.

Seeing as the majority are not competing.

"It is definitely a material that splits people"

Very apt!

I used to surf kayaks. I began back in the days of wood and fibreglass, and when plastic arrived it was a godsend.

Just as I packed it in there was a trend towards carbon use.

This was a hideous return to the old days of holed hulls and snapped kayaks.

Sometimes lighter is not better, unless your success in competition is compensation enough.

I think regardless of whats being built people are always trying to make things light, which is not always a good thing. We mainly ride XC but a couple of our mates ride more DH style and like I said to them they weigh a tonne so once you're used to the weight you will be fit as a fiddle riding them around!
I didn't even mean the 'split' pun! very apt though :LOL:

Back