2006 Rocky Mountain Slayer

sam264

Retro Guru
So apparently this bike deserves its own thread (I didn't think it was retro enough ;) ). Built this up last november as a sort of "do it all" bike, and by that I mean from XC all the way to gnarly uplifted downhill (rode Nant Gwrtheyrn on it, that was a bit scary!) and it does the job very well. I can ride up most things without pushing, and it descends like a monster! Before you ask, I have no idea on weight, as I have no scales. 30-35lbs ish? I can post spec if you like. All in, it's cost me about 2 grand, all parts were bought new apart from frame, shock and seatpost/clamp.

p4pb7597461.jpg

p4pb7579982.jpg

Since those photos were taken, I've put a Gamut p30 guide on there.

So what do you guys think? I love it! :D

KiwiJohn":1kak8pdv said:
I approve.

Me too!

This is the non retro section so its all good.

I reckon some silver/grey forks would finish it off perfectly?

That seats up high! How tall are you! Haha.

Looks perfect for the job.

Yeah I had some of those galvanised Totems on there before, but swapped them out for the Lyriks, got them brand new relatively cheap, so the colour didn't really bother me. They're not going anywhere any time soon now.

I'm 6ft1, the frame is an 18" and the sizing is perfect for me, plenty big/long enough when the seat is up, and just about right descending with the seat down.

That's a very nice bike, forks are pretty special :D

What's it like getting up stuff with 1x9 gearing ?

Cheers mate, I really like the fork :D

1x9 gearing is pretty alright! I only sometimes struggle with steep natural techy climbs (going up snowdon the other day frinstance, could have done with a granny ring then, but everyone else was already pushing by that point anyway!). Anything at a trail centre and pretty much anywhere else I can climb no problem, just have to push a little bit harder than everyone else!

Took some photos the other day whilst giving it a clean. Since the last photos it's had a new X9 rear mech (warranty replacement, score!), X0 shifter (managed to get my broken one fixed for the princely sum of £5, score again!) and a gamut chain guide.

p4pb8162829.jpg

p4pb8162822.jpg

and a group photo

p4pb8162542.jpg

Really happy with the bike right now, just needs some new pivot bearings and the brakes sorting (bent rotors/sticky pistons, pretty annoying...), and maybe a slightly shorter stem and it'll be sweeeeeet as!

Back