BoTM Winner
hi
i have an lx chainset which says IG chains only
which they all probarbly do
it is also smaller than my other chainset on the pine
am i right in saying this is microdrive
if so what chain other than shimano can i use , a few priorities=

1= 7 speed
2= silver ( purely cosmetic you understand )

can i use anything other than shimano =
if i use a sram chain can i use a sram cassette

i have used a non shimano chain on the pine but cant remember what it is

thanx slim

unless you want to use a BMX chain. then most of the chain specific gearing blah blah is just marketing BS. you could use a connex/ sachs/sram chain on pretty much any 7/8/9 speed combo

after using a Taya chain I wouldnt recommend 1. I never got on with the specific pins for repairing shimano chains.

7 and 8 speed chains are a different width to 9 speed. Mixing 7/8 and 9 is a bad idea.
I run Shimano on all my rides, bar one. Great chains. I've used SRAM/Sedis in the past and they are also fine.

Any 7 or 8 speed silver chain sounds like it will do the job for you. Like I said before I'd stick with shimano or sram though....

scant":2pr2k0h2 said:
jon, u CAN run a 9spd chain on 8spd with no probs.. I've been doin it for years ;D

You can, I'll not deny you that :D . The sprocket pitch is however different on 7/8 vs 9 vs 10

Shimano 8-speed 4.80
Shimano 9-speed 4.35
Shimano 10-speed 3.95

It's still best to run the correctly pitched chain for your drive train. I've had problems in the past with certain chainrings designed for 8 speed being a touch too thick for a 9 speed chain.

I have the reverse problem , with a shimano chain ,

i have an 8 speed cassette and and 8 speed chain . On the smaller ring the chain keep jumping as it is touching the second ring . I thought it was mech but it works fine on all other gears.

So next chain will be a 9 speed , as they are finer .

Sedis are very good chain

cchris2lou":3tf1xgqa said:
I have the reverse problem , with a shimano chain ,

i have an 8 speed cassette and and 8 speed chain . On the smaller ring the chain keep jumping as it is touching the second ring . I thought it was mech but it works fine on all other gears.

So next chain will be a 9 speed , as they are finer .

Sedis are very good chain

I'd be looking at your chainline first.

I had 1 of the first M950 chainsets (8spd) then a few years later a M952 supposedly 9spd. bored in the bike shop, got the electronic vernier calipers out.. yup u guessed it. no difference. As far as chains go, stick with sachs over shimano ;)

cchris2lou, yup deffo sounds more of a chainline problem

Back