Isn't it time to update the cut-off date for 'retro'?

+98 split is very unfortunate, illogical and divisive.

The only sustainible, objective and uncontroversial type of dividing mtb history is:

B y D e c a d e s.

We do it for everything else. And it works very well.

70` BIKES
80` BIKES
90` BIKES
00` BIKES

Easy, simple and elegant

my 2 cents

Thats a good point but then where you would put the retro and non retro marker on that little timeline?
Annnnnnnnd were back where we started. Haha!

I'm happy with the cut off to be honest, even though all my bikes fall just outside the 1997 cut off (2x 1998 and 2x 1999). These simply reflect the bikes I loved bitd. In all honesty I do see them as retro (3 steel framed Konas and a titanium Raleigh!) but I don't mind the fact that I have to post up about my bikes here. If we were to start messing around with the dates, then they'd be a debate about what bikes were retro, there are companies today making "retro" frames and slinging kit on them, but it doesn't make the bikes retro. Equally in the early 2000's some of the bikes were simply light years away from retro, the technology might not have worked and they were phased out but they were and some still are cutting edge.

In my opinion the cut off of 1997/8 coincides with major manufacturers introducing a jump/dual slalom/trials bike into their line up (Orange, Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Kona, etc) and this cannot be retro in my eyes :D

I think sooner we get over trying to pinpoint the exact second when cool retro bikes became ugly modern ones the better.
As Richard Dawkins would put it, in the history of life on earth, the offsprings have always belonged to same species as their parents :)
If we really have to simplify the history and evolution of mtb for practical reasons, decades make the most sense.

Simply bikes from 70ties, 80ties etc...
Than nobody can argue and feel rejected..

I will be honest here, I feel that my 1998 8 speed Kona Explosive, with full period XT including V-brakes feels too retro to be mixing it with the modern bikes in the 98+ group. To all my friends, this 14 year old bike is very retro. As 1998 bikes get older in time, they will look daft mixed in with modern 2020 models in the future! :oops:

I think its ok as it is, but maybe in the future we will go the same way as the BMX'ers - old school, mid school and new school.....

Fudd":2r6jdxre said:
I think its ok as it is, but maybe in the future we will go the same way as the BMX'ers - old school, mid school and new school.....

SPOT ON! :D

Leave it how it is, now get off my lawn ye young whipper snappers!!

3636_picture_of_an_angry_old_man_waving_his_cane.jpg

Fudd wrote:

SPOT ON!

Right so when the '98--> section was added in 2010 13 year old bikes were considered retro, Don't get me wrong, I like the cut off of '97, there's a big difference between the bulk of '96 and '98 production bikes, brakes, bouncy bits, 21 speed becomes 24 etc.
So could there simply be a new section added? say... 1998 - 2008 and 2008--->
This site's been going since 2005? i'm sure it'll be still around in 6 years time when things like my B17 and LTS will be 20 years old :shock: and have about as much in common with the lastest technology as a Raleigh activator :LOL: (I know plenty of people that already think that) :LOL:

I will get off your lawn !

I think as above, add in a new one but that begins to get too extensive then.
Its the best idea but not needed/not going to happen.

Back