1997 Specialized Hardrock AX - Mountain Mayhem build!

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right, so MM is on the horizon. It would be a bit of a shame to ride it on my Specialized Epic amongst teams of retro bikes, so I've decided to put together a budget retro bike for general use as well as for MM.

The frame:

125.jpg

30012011_002_983.jpg

I was going to pick this up first time round, but had a change of heart. When it came back up for sale I couldn't pass on it. I think it'll be a 1997/8 Stumpjumper frame, but not 100% sure. Fairly sure it'll be a Stumpy frame with it having the gussets and the 'S' logo on the top tube one.

I think colour wise I'll paint it Red with White decals, think it's a great scheme to suit a Specialized.

I've got a shed full of bits and pieces, so the plan is to use as many parts as I can that I have 'in stock' to keep the costs down as low as possible. Just done a quick rummage through what I have and the spec is looking to be:

Frame: Specialized Aluminium
Forks:
Stem: Specialized - Not sure whether to go O/S or normal.
Bars: Specialized
Brake Levers: Chrome Avid SD 2.0
Brakes:
Shifters: SRAM X7 (9 speed)
Cranks: Specialized Strongarm (5 arm)
Saddle: Specialized
Rear Mech:
Wheels: Shimano LX (black) hubs on Silver Mavic 217 rims
Tyres:

So got a few bits to pick up, but there's plenty of time! Think the bike needs some Manitou forks on it which were specced on Stumpy's of this kind of age, maybe go Red again.

Good to have a project to play with and nice to have a goal race/ride for it down the line.

Sorry to break the news but that's not a stumpy or M2. Probably A1 frame or could be rockhopper of hardrock from late 90's onwards. Tell tale is rack mounts. No M2's or stumpjumpers came with them. Still nice frames;)

Can't see it being a Hardrock given the logo on the top tube. Seems too much effort on a low end frame, especially with the gussets. Happy if its a Rockhopper though.

Thread title changed to StumpHardHopper ;)

Its a 97 Hardrock AX from searching through some old brochures. Only ali frame with rear rack mounts, Stumpy & Rockhopper dont have them.......having said that I prefer Stumphardhopper as a name :D

Attachments

• IMG_4374.JPG
    IMG_4374.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 3,634
  • IMG_4377.JPG
    IMG_4377.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,634
  • IMG_4373.JPG
    IMG_4373.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 3,634
zigzag":3j3xwryf said:
See link in sig. It might only be a Hardrock, but still my favourite bike...

Looks great that, especially in White. Having a re-think on the colour now! Got Mango (as per catalogue pic above) and Lime Green going through my head now too. No real hurry on painting it so can mull everything over.

Still waiting the frame being delivered, but have been cracking on with the wheels. I got these from a '97 Minimula I had a bit ago. The freehub was knackered, but a more modern M475 Deore one seems to fit a treat to the LX hubs. So both sets of hubs have been serviced any the wheels are ready to fit.

I've paid for a set of Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb forks for the bike too, which should go well with it.

There's a used set of Yellow Magura rim brakes at my local bike shop that I'm going to have a look at tomorrow. Hopefully these will be ok and they can join the build too.

Eager to get started so I can get some riding done on this :)

Think the Magura's are not going to suit the build, so may leave them off to one side for something else. There's a set of Avid v-brakes at my LBS so may go with them instead. Pleased with the crank arms though.

Frame is finally on its way after lots of courier issues. Should be with me by Thursday! Forks are also on their way :)

Back