The cost of fuel and Retrobike rides...

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Its getting tough out there! The recent Coniston trip cost us £100 in diesel alone, let alone the coffee and cake.

Lets hope things sort themselves out and theres no more rumours of exploding pipelines.

there was a time when fuel costs never came into making plans, like you say Mark its a massive factor now. at least you will save on round two!! Nearly the same for me :LOL:

I reckon I racked up 2000 miles going to just the Nationals last year, then another 400 to Mayhem

Car sharing is the way forward (along with driving at 50-60mph to keep decent fuel economy)

Probably spent £300+ on fuel alone

You only live once eh! Can't take it with you so may as well enjoy it and use it whilst you can

Was talking to my boss today about a friend of his who's got a Rover SD1 with a Spitfire engine. Gets about 17 to the gallon on the motorway. Cruises at 600rpm though.

i spend £400-£500 a month on fuel just seeing my girlfriend, she lives 132 miles away, its shocking.

just sold my car this week, using a scooter for now around here as i have 4 months to knuckle down at work, where its her turn to visit me.....scary that i will save £2,000 in that time though!

i must admit i am being alot more picky about what rides i go to now because of the fuel costs. i try and make the longer trips more worthwhile by making a 2/3/4 day road trip out of it.

for example when i did the cannock ride which is 3 hours away i then drive to coed y brenin for example which is about another 1 1/2 from cannock then stay there for 2 days riding then drive home which is 4 hours. so in total i drive for 8 1/2 hours over 3 days as opposed to 6 hours in one day but i get 3 good rides in, although there is the accommodation cost on top of about £80 in a b+b (or you could camp). but overall i feel more justified in the cost because of the extended amount of riding.

Petrol prices have increased by around 12% over the last 3 years, diesel about 5%. This is (tops) a tenner on a full tank. I don't see how this is a big deal for people spending reasonable sums on top end retro rides and having stables of decent bikes. I'll get flamed for posting this, but i just don't get it.

i think it's just about getting a bit more value for the out lay of a couple of tanks of fuel.

i had to pay the prices. as do others, and thats why folk will never rule out there cars no matter what.

my works transit goes through about £1,300 of diesel per month too!

markoc":26z482kb said:
Petrol prices have increased by around 12% over the last 3 years, diesel about 5%. This is (tops) a tenner on a full tank. I don't see how this is a big deal for people spending reasonable sums on top end retro rides and having stables of decent bikes. I'll get flamed for posting this, but i just don't get it.

I'm interested in the source for those figures.

The BBC says unleaded is now at 137p/litre, on average. In March 2009 it was 91p, according to http://www.petrolprices.com/the-price-of-fuel.html, which is a 50% rise or thereabouts. Of course there are some wild variations in the meantime.

:?

Back