Kona's page

al-onestare":2oj499me said:
mrkawasaki":2oj499me said:
Information gratefully received on this example currently in my LBS - size/year/rarity etc.

Serial T900 00228

I'll take it please! Looks like a 19 incher in new sizing, so not sure what that was in the old way. Apart from the saddle, pedals and grips it looks all original. Cleaned up and lubed, easily £250+ I would have thought would have been worth more with the Track 2 forks.

mrkawasaki":qmcy1brj said:
Information gratefully received on this example currently in my LBS - size/year/rarity etc.
Serial T900 00228
I don't see any cause to doubt that it's a 1990 Explosif, and I agree that it does look like a size 19, although it's difficult to tell from an angle (15cm head tube?).

The serial number is a bit odd as you don't usually see zeros in some of those places. I believe the T signifies TBG = Taiwan Bicycle Group, not to be confused with TBG = The Bicycle Group (no relation), the owners of Kona.

You'll see quite a few 1990 Konas that lack the spatter finish. I don't know whether this means that the relationship with Paul Brodie didn't survive the full term, or he decided to change the design or they wanted to save $5/frame, whatever.

It isn't all that rare, nor all that valuable lacking so many bits of its original decals. Nevertheless, a Tange Concept frame is always worth considering (just to confirm that, I assume it has the tapered and ovalised shape to the top and down tubes?)

Anthony":38xwmqms said:
mrkawasaki":38xwmqms said:
Serial T900 00228
I don't see any cause to doubt that it's a 1990 Explosif, and I agree that it does look like a size 19, although it's difficult to tell from an angle (15cm head tube?).

The serial number is a bit odd as you don't usually see zeros in some of those places. I believe the T signifies TBG = Taiwan Bicycle Group, not to be confused with TBG = The Bicycle Group (no relation), the owners of Kona.

You'll see quite a few 1990 Konas that lack the spatter finish. I don't know whether this means that the relationship with Paul Brodie didn't survive the full term, or he decided to change the design or they wanted to save $5/frame, whatever.

It isn't all that rare, nor all that valuable lacking so many bits of its original decals. Nevertheless, a Tange Concept frame is always worth considering (just to confirm that, I assume it has the tapered and ovalised shape to the top and down tubes?)

Anthony i know we have spoken before about the TBG group, and the taiwan bicycle group...., and im still needing some clarification on it.

with ref to the relationship with Paul Brodie....heres what he had to say about it when asked.....,

(quote)
There seems to have been some confusion in the early days amongst Brodie, Kona and Rocky fans and your involvement with TBG, what role did you play in those early days with TBG and the likes of Joe Murray?

PB : We signed a bad contract with the wrong people and ended up in a situation that was unworkable for us. It escalated into a 2 year lawsuit. After the first year we got a better, more expensive lawyer, and so did they. Our great friendship with Joe Murray eventually blew up as he got caught in the middle. The lawyers got paid, neither side was able to claim victory, but we, Brodie Research and Technology Inc., finally had our freedom. And that's all I need to say...

Did you have any involvement with other bike companys before you set your own company up and if so who ?

PB : I worked for Rocky Mountain for 2 years (1984 - 1986) before I started Brodie Bikes. In the first year I designed and built frames, forks and bullmoose bars, painted everything, and was also production manager for $8/hr. After a year they refused to give me a raise, so I resigned as manager and went on contract work. I chose afternoon shift and I was on my own. I got $200 for a fillet brazed MTB frame and fork. At the start of the year it took me 16 hours to build a frame and fork, but at the end of the year I had it down to 8 hours. I worked the afternoon shift, and when it got close to midnight would use their machinery to build my own frame jigs and fixtures. No one ever walked in, but it would have been very hard to explain...(quote)

So the contractual issues it seems did have a long lasting effect, splatter paint to be seen no more, rear Macaroni pipes replaced with plastic cable guides etc, for the 91 model year.

Attachments

• 91Inner3.jpg
    91Inner3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,800
Righty ho. It has been requested the text above be credited to it's author who is one 'Scott de Waldens' and originally appeared on the Brodie Bikes blog > http://www.brodiebikes.com/blog/?p=1716. Which is now duly done. I trust those who work with Mr De Waldens will now repay the favour and credit retrobike for material they have copied from here.

Discussion on this matter done. Back to the Konas :)

For those interested we are currently running a series on the front page regarding Paul Brodie's rebuild of a 1888 full sus bike > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/articles/pau ... part-ii-2/

1998 Kona Explosif 853 - with original factory paint and graphics

1998 18" Kona Reynolds 853 Explosif. Original paint, full 739 XT, rebuilt Bomber 80mm forks, King headset, Thomson stem, Ringle cage, Mavic 517s with REVS, NOS WTB SST, Kore racelite post, Hope post clamp, NOS Onza L-bent bar ends, Hope skewers. My first 853 tubed Kona and the ride is unbelievable! Some bikes are harsh, but fast; some are plush, but slow - this somehow manages to combine both perfectly!

While looking for parts for this 1998 Explosif on Ebay one evening, the mint 1999 came up as a new listing. As the owner had listed his phone number, I rang him straight away with a silly offer and was prepared to go far higher to end the listing early. Amazingly he accepted as he needed the money quickly to go on holiday with and it was sold within 1 hour of the listing being placed! :shock: The idea was to sell the 1998 one once I had rebuilt it, but when it was completed it came out far better than I expected and I could not part with it after so much effort and work.

1999 Kona Explosif 853 - nearly NOS!

My latest project - a 1999 18" Kona 853 Explosif. Hardly used as too big for the first owner. Totally factory original apart from the grips, even the chain and tyres are original! Came with all the Kona and Bomber instruction and warranty manuals, 1999 Kona brochure, original purchase receipt from Evans and even the unused Kona grey touch-up paint they supplied. :shock: Was going to leave it as it is, but have decided to rebuild it and put all the original NOS stuff into storage. It will have full NOS XT750, Mavic 517s with red hope ti hubs, REVS and red DT nips, Thomson stem and post and lots of anno red bits including Hope skewers and hubs, red King headset, NOS Onza L-bent bar ends, Ringle cage, NOS WTB SST saddle. Will take a while to get all the bits in NOS condition, but will be worth it when done.

I will post the build one day, but I will wait for the exact parts to come up even if it takes me a year to find them all.

Attachments

• 1999 853.jpg
    1999 853.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2,641
  • 1998 Kona 853 Explosif.JPG
    1998 Kona 853 Explosif.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 2,640
My 91 Cindercone and 94 Lavadome.

ABCD0016-11.jpg

ABCD0015-9.jpg

A four year thread and I haven't seen the bike I own. Although there is an explosif of the same color.

P1020897.jpg

P1020915.jpg

The color is Dupont Imron 43073 "Signal Green" (99% sure). It's difficult to get the pictures to look right, because the light reflects off the paint so much.

1992 Kona Fire Mountain, all original except for the handlebars (now Scott AT-4), seat and wheels. The thumbie/rapidfire shifters were a request when I bought it new that the local shop said OK (since they were rapidfires on the yellow 1991 and thumb shifters in 1992). I've still got the original Kona seat and the wheels are wearing some road tires.

I'll post a more complete story sometime later, after I get some pictures that look right. :LOL:

Back