My Elswick Sovereign

NHonky

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
Been stalking the forum for awhile without posting and felt the need to post my bike tonight. its an Elswick Sovereign, when i got it the decals where in terrible condition so i just scrapped them and stuck on a bashed up head badge, to match the rest of the bike of course....

need to replace the wheels at some point once i can find a cheap pair that are better than these. and maybe a new lick of paint down the road but i kinda like the weird green gold for some reason.

anyway haven't seen much about this bike online so i shall add mine to the few, im still a noob to road bikes really so let me know if you see any problems haha.

-Neil

35l9szl.jpg

Welcome

looking after bikes like these was my bread and butter quite a few years ago, the brake levers were a nightmare by the way LOL

What's the seat post ?

Shaun

just a standard Push seatpost. and yeah im looking at getting some new levers, but i know im gonna miss the suicide levers...

i have one of these beautys at the moment, just cleaning it up to be sold on, if you want the brake levers message me and i will think of a suitable price.

Anyone know what sort of year this could be as i have a red elswick super sprint which i am restoring at the moment .
I am not going to paint the frame yet on mine as the decals arent to bad in to bad condition but i do need to find a touch up of a close match.
just got to fit a new lower bracket bearing and we should be away :D

i think it was made to celebrate 100 years of elswick, but im not sure if it was 1980 or 1985.

getting on a bit now then i must admit i have searched hi and low and not seen another elswick super sprint 10 speed so must be getting rare now :D

'Bought one of these new in 1981 from Ware in Hertfordshire, [in fact I've still got the Ever Ready front light]. At the time I thought it was the biz and replaced pretty much everything thanks to Maddisons Frewheel catalogue. I rode it every where and it got me back into cycling for life. I sold it to a work mate in Stroud in about 1987 to help fund one of the last Hetchins frames.
I've only seen two others, one was under a pile of PX's at the back of a bike shop in Thatcham and the other was on a site dedicated to ten speed bikes.

Anyway hope you enjoy it.

Back