1996 Orange P7 Nickel

I think the E mount increases the case for it being a 97 frame. The first E-mount fm was in the 96 XTR range, but it wasn't extended to XT until 97. I find it hard to believe that they would specify that mount for 96, just for the very few people who ordered their P7 with XTR, but plenty of people would order their 97 P7 with XT, and I think by then there were E-mount fms in LX and STX-RC as well.

You don't have to fit an E-mount fm, but I had one in my box so I fitted it to my 98 E4, and it works very well. I think the mount might get in the way of a low-band fm, but there's no problem about fitting a conventional-swing.

I don't know, fitting canti brakes to a frame designed for Vs - that's not period-correct. Tut tut, these youngsters nowadays.

(^ Tsk... I'm 37 in September, Anthony...!)

Slight update on this (slow burning...) project:

Pace RC-35 AB's bought from old skool babe and superbly refurbished by Tim (justbackdated)

P1060513.jpg

They had a service, new wiper seals, spring plates, steerer and original foil decals :D They look "nos'' now... :shock:

Also began the process of accumalating bits 'n pieces for the bike in a bit of an ad-hoc fashion....

Including:

NOS XT M-739 front mech (E-type) - eBay
P1060446.jpg

P1060445.jpg

XT M-739 rear mech - eBay
P1060468.jpg

Schwalbe City Jet 26x1.5 - eBay (originally fitted these to my 'Prestige', but minimal use so they're still 'like new')
P1060431.jpg

Ritchey Logic 1" threaded headset - ebay USA
P1060467.jpg

Orange SK8 stem & Hot Rod handlebar - from cippolini on here (since cleaned up and I polished out the logos)
P1060429.jpg

P1060428.jpg

Er,,....Bontrager bottle cage (got my prioirities right on this build!) from 'Birkenhead Cycles'
P1060430.jpg

(Plus, some cheap A2Z ano blue bottle bosses - eBay)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-4-A2Z-All ... 1171wt_973

Also on the way are: Flite Ti Transalp from adastra on here; UN54 E-Type BB (which has literally just been delivered as I'm typing this!); SRAM PC-870 chain and black ODI Attack grips.

Next on my 'things-to-buy' list are: M-739 sti shifters (think I'm sorted here now for these), V-brakes and chainset (M-737 or M-739)

Wheels-wise, I think I'll get a pair built by Merlin Cycles: nothing particularly flash, something like XT hubs, silver XM317 rims and ACI spokes -

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... AIR-ND.htm

- as it'll be used for road use only. Aiming to top it off with some ano blue Hope QR's and Hope seat bolt/clamp (31.8mm).

Other odds 'n sods will be - Continental Presta tubes (already got), nos XT sharkfin, SPD pedals, HG50 8-speed cassette and a (modern) Cateye wireless computer.

Will update on an ''as and when'' basis I expect, but funds are running low so still a couple of months left to run on this!:D

After searching for P7's on here for reference, there's this example from RB member dc2100k which is what I'm hoping mine will have the same silhouette/look of -

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 338a7d60f4

Been using that bike as a bit of a guideline, one of the nicest P7's I've seen is that!

Matty ;)

EDIT - here's said bottom bracket!

P1060522.jpg

P1060523.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nice work on the frame Matty

could almost be an elite (it's that shiny :LOL: ) and nice collecting too :cool:

think you should have 35 MXCD's for that though...

(funnily enough I may have some coming available ;) )

And :cool:

Ditto the comments on the frame, it looks ace.

Did you use the same foil technique when doing the stem? I have an Sk8 coming.

Nice work on the frame and much respect for doing it all by hand :cool:

I may be wrong here but I think it's the nickel plating you have removed. I think I read on here that these frames had to be chromed first to enable them to be nickel plated and no lacquer was used. If this is true then it looks to me like you've rubbed it back to the chrome. A mate of mine has owned a 95 P7 from new and I remember it didn't take long for the plating to start to flake. Looked stunning when it was new though. A bit like polished ti but with a brownish tint to it :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'd also consider a different fork; The RC35's are from 94 but if the frame is 97 then I'd be fitting RC36's. It's your choice but I'd go for coil/oil over elastomers every time.

And please don't fit M739 cranks. I think M737's are maybe the nicest cranks ever made and they'd be perfect on this build.

minor_LEGEND":31749b2l said:
Ditto the comments on the frame, it looks ace.

Did you use the same foil technique when doing the stem? I have an Sk8 coming.

Cheers mate, no I just polished the stem (and handlebars) with Autosol after using a bit of wire wool. The logos were partially coming off anyway so it looks a bit neater and "stealthier" without them!

;)

Fudd":1l40fa44 said:
Nice work on the frame and much respect for doing it all by hand :cool:

I may be wrong here but I think it's the nickel plating you have removed. I think I read on here that these frames had to be chromed first to enable them to be nickel plated and no lacquer was used. If this is true then it looks to me like you've rubbed it back to the chrome. A mate of mine has owned a 95 P7 from new and I remember it didn't take long for the plating to start to flake. Looked stunning when it was new though. A bit like polished ti but with a brownish tint to it :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'd also consider a different fork; The RC35's are from 94 but if the frame is 97 then I'd be fitting RC36's. It's your choice but I'd go for coil/oil over elastomers every time.

And please don't fit M739 cranks. I think M737's are maybe the nicest cranks ever made and they'd be perfect on this build.

Hi Fudd, I'm sure just the top coating of lacquer has been removed: I was quite careful in removing it and the nickel plating appears fully intact, save for a couple of chips underneath the top tube. I'll be keeping a close eye on it anyway and the bike will only be used as a 'summer' road bike. It'll also be regularly polished/waxed so if any problems occur them it'll be nipped in the bud (I hope!)

Nickel plating is tougher than people think though and protects the steel well, but if in the future it gets tatty then I've got the default option of powdercoating black :D

As for the forks, I would have preferred the original F7 ones but haven't come across any yet. The other option for me is to put them on my 'Prestige' to replace the Manitou 2's currently fitted (but no elastomers inside so they're rigid at the moment... :oops: :D )

P1060201.jpg

Pace RC-35s would look great on the 'Prestige' as well of course but as nothings been built up as such, plans are open to change.. I'll also be 'passing off' my P7 as a 1995 one with the decals I've chosen so a '94 fork may not stand out as much, no?

Anyone got any views?

M-737 cranks? Not got a set yet so will be keeping my eye open there (in fact, got a lead on these already...)

Cheers,

Matty :D

EDIT - Seen a couple of P7's (and Orange bikes in general) with Project 2 forks fitted, for example like this one - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135467

- anyone think that would be a good idea? Make the P7 rigid (and a touch lighter) as it's for road use only, put the refurb'd RC-35s on the 'Prestige' and wave "goodbye" to the Manitou 2's? :? :D

Say, powdercoat a set of P2's black to contrast the frame?

*Looks for some paracetemol*

:LOL:

Oh, and just arrived this morning: ODI Attacks and Series 8 seat tube decals courtesy of Roly - cheers, mate :D

P1060524.jpg

P1060525.jpg

Also, SRAM PC-870 chain:
P1060528.jpg

Flite Ti (off adastra, thanks Matt):
P1060549.jpg

Shimano Deore XT M-739 V-brakes (off oldskoolbabe, thanks Chris):
P1060635.jpg

PD-M520 pedals, taken off my ex-Alu 'O':
P1060575.jpg

Shimano Deore XT FC-M737 chainset with Pace inner ring (off brocklanders, thanks Edd):
P1060562.jpg

Finally landed some Orange F7 forks - albeit in a dodgy respayed 'midnight blue' colour (off eBay in the end) so they'll need a bit of work to get them back to the original nickel (maybe powder coat black?) but it also means I've got a couple of options as well now...

P1060550.jpg

P1060551.jpg

EDIT - couple more bits:

Shimano Deore XT M-739 STI shifters (off Kingswood, thanks Kev)
P1060714.jpg

Hope seat clamp & QR's (swiped from my now-departed Alu 'O': skewers are a little bit scratched but will do the job for now, may get a new set in the future seeing as everything else is in minty condition...!)
P1060715.jpg

Decided to have the forks resprayed black in the end, so slight change of plan in that the finishing kit will now be black rather than blue. Completely ano free!
:D

Orange and pace is morecombe and wise :)

i like the mxcd's they're a bit more engineered and suit the fat tubes of the elite (old frame newer forks).

the 35a-c are 'simpler' and suit the cromo p7's lines (old forks newer frame)

as it's mostly a roadie travel isn't really an issue so go with what you've got unless you want to change.

(i was just teasing ;) )

Back