1996 Lava Dome.

ere-tis

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
My relationship with mountain bikes as we know them started back in 1994 when I bought a new Cinder Cone.

Me and the bike were inseparable from day one and being far more interested in riding than polishing soon saw the CC looking well 'used'

In 1996 I added a Lava Dome to the fleet, a 'Sunday best' bike if you will and relegated the CC to commuter/wet weather bike.

In '98 I purchased a Kilauea in baby sh1te yellow, this is still to this day the best bike I've ever ridden.

Forward several years my neighbour was welding in his garage when a fire broke out,
sadly my adjoining garage caught light too and my 3 Kona's were destroyed.

I stumbled across this site a while back with the intention of building up an old Kona for a bit of fun,
but as most of us know one thing leads to another and I am now in the middle of replicating my 'fleet' as it was in the 90's.

Anyway, I spotted this Lava Dome on here a few weeks back and managed to sort out a deal with Tony (TC).
The bike was complete and in remarkable condition but Tony wanted to keep a few parts back for another build (STi's, tyres and forks)
The forks wasn't too big of a problem as the LD had Rock Shox and mine originally had P2's,
Thorpie came to the rescue with a pair of period almost NOS Mr Dirt and The Cleaner,
and a chance conversation at the LBS landed me with a pair of NOS LX STi's.

The P2's , thanks to Stuart (Funk to Funky) are currently at the powercoaters awaiting a coat of metallic grey, once back I can clean everything up and get it ridden !

1996 Lava Dome (mid season special green) 19" original STX cranks, LX & STX mechs & Impact headset.

Picture010-1.jpg

Race Light bars, Velocity Stem, Race Light Post and Selle Italia Expedia saddle.

Picture014-1.jpg

Mavic 238's

Picture012.jpg

Mr Dirt and The Cleaner

Picture016.jpg

Ritchley bar ends and grips.

Barendsgrips-1.jpg

Curve Canti's

photo-2-1.jpg

NOS LX ST'is

photo-1.jpg

LTX alloy pedals & toe clips.

Picture018.jpg

That looks superb! I had an identical one that I bought new in 1997.

Will own another one at some point...

Pard...
this is going to look gorgeous ;) ..cant wait to see it built up

Ernie ;)

whats this?!

a lovely condition original paint kona not been repainted white with Gippo decals and devalued over night!

FANTASTIC!

Keep up the good work, cant wait to see it finsihed.

:D

kase1983":1f0zqjt9 said:
whats this?!

a lovely condition original paint kona not been repainted white with Gippo decals and devalued over night!

FANTASTIC!

Keep up the good work, cant wait to see it finsihed.

:D

Ha ha, bet you hate my bike build.

I'm looking forward to seeing this built up

Back