Rotec Pro Downhill Resto-Custom Build

Awesome! I still have the magazine which had a Rotec in it against a Yeti Straight 6 and a Lobo. I fell in love with the Yeti, but the Rotec was simpily an outstanding looking bike :D

Speaking of magazine articles... If anyone has a 1997 Mountain Bike Action (or maybe Bike, but I'm pretty sure MBA) with a race report in it (pretty sure it was Big Bear or Mammoth in California) there were two photo's from the race of the Rotec. One photo was Eric Carter railing a left hand turn, shot from behind. The other was the bike in the pits on a stand. The proto had a tubular welded sub frame. If I can find those photos (all I have is my recollection of them) I might just reproduce the sub frame for this bike.

I tried calling MBA and talking to the photo editor, but they would not call back.

Anyone have an old stash of American MTB magazines from 1997?

I have Plush magazine volume 1 issue 2 october 97. there is an article about a new bike company called rotec, has a pretty bad pic of E.C riding that bike.
Has a tubular seat tower similar to a mc san andreas, also has a segmented top tube as opposed to the formed one. looks pretty cool.
anyway will try and scan it for ya. not the best pic mind you

13":8nwvik82 said:
I have Plush magazine volume 1 issue 2 october 97. there is an article about a new bike company called rotec, has a pretty bad pic of E.C riding that bike.
Has a tubular seat tower similar to a mc san andreas, also has a segmented top tube as opposed to the formed one. looks pretty cool.
anyway will try and scan it for ya. not the best pic mind you

Yeah, that is the pre-production seat tower. If I can get enough imagery of it, I would consider building a replica.

FST4RD":3vxqg3dm said:
Awesome! I still have the magazine which had a Rotec in it against a Yeti Straight 6 and a Lobo. I fell in love with the Yeti, but the Rotec was simpily an outstanding looking bike :D

I remember that! Sure I've got that issue somewhere too.

Update:

My collection of White Brothers forks is getting ridiculous. I keep buying forks and they keep turning out to be rubbish (at least for my needs)

Out of this pile, all I will use are the white stanchion guards... Everything else will be sold off.

HPIM2305.jpg

Since I could not find decent quality used parts, I ordered some new parts from White Brothers (they forgot to ship the damper side top cap, so waiting on that). They will be sent to the anodizer and then returned to WB to be assembled into a brand new Groove 180 fork.

HPIM2322.jpg

I finally sourced a decent rear hub (Thanks for your help Steve!) with a 12mm axle. I also have a 185mm rotor to match the front.

HPIM2307.jpg

And last but not least, some pics of the main frame at Spectrum Powder Works:
The blue is semi-transparent so you can see the grain of the aluminum through the paint.

HPIM2309.jpg

HPIM2308.jpg

Back