Late 90's DH bike collection - GT DHi and Intense Tazer FS

Sweet, are they NOS? They look like they're in great nick - museum pieces even. Looking forward to seeing the others too! ;)

beepbeep":32x5wedn said:
Sweet, are they NOS? They look like they're in great nick - museum pieces even. Looking forward to seeing the others too! ;)

No they are not NOS, just very clean examples. All have been bought second hand, I just buy wisely (and internationally).

STS Lobo - one came from France, the other one just down the road in Ashford.

Lobo 1000DH - bought from a sponsored rider down Bath way, who had it as a spare bike and had little use, then tucked it away before selling it.

Super 8 - was bought from a guy in Wakefield who bought it from a mate who built it when sponsored by Stif in 1998, rode it once, had a tragedy in the family and put it in the shed 'til his mate bought it about 3 years ago, I bought it when he went to OZ.

Quality parts are more expensive, but there is less of it...

You are a lucky sod having those bikes all 3 of those are seriously cool, but go on which one is you're favourite (whisper it so the other two don't hear)

I honestly couldn't choose a favourite.

Big fan of the rarity of the STS Lobos, the fact they are both Mediums and original plus great to ride. Could never do a DH run on them though through fear of a breakage.

This is where the Lobo 1000DH comes in... so much more trust in it, but being a Small means I bang my knees on the bars.

First time I rode the Super 8 I couldn't believe how easy it was. Never raced it but I used to race a 2001/2 Santa Cruz S8 with Monster T's, (which I still have), in the day and this 1998 spec felt better, so much easier to move and get rolling, plus its my size and I could trust it.

Read into all that what you will!

I have to admit when I first built up my 98 Raven I was a bit unsure of riding it for fear of breaking it but plenty of people said how well built they are and after watching this - http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz ... t-lab.html - it put my mind at rest about fatigued carbon frames!Not that I have any reason to believe the raven has been badly fatigued. It flew round Gisburn keeping up with a load of modern bikes, and to be fair there are places in Gisburn that really test a bike to it's limits.

Don't get me wrong, the bike gets ridden but nothing anywhere near what I used to do when racing DH.

For me the risk of failure doing something I can do on any of my other bikes for the sake of it isn't worth it. The time and effort replacing it would simply not be worth the risk.

The Santa Cruz research is very impressive and demonstrates how far carbon development (and understanding the use of carbon) has come a long in the last 12 years +.

STS Lobo's are an example of early dabblings with the technology, and rather primitive by modern comparison. The frames developed a reputation for failure, being Ali/Carbon it is my understanding this contributed to these failures, hence why in '99 they were back to all Ali.

Its good to preserve these early examples of the technology, like yours...

The mid to late 90's were the best time for DH in my opinion!
That Santa Cruz is nice :D
I myself have a Giant ATX1 DH, Yeti Straight 4 and Specialized FSR DH Shaun Palmer Rep.
Only bike I'm missing for my collection is a Cannondale Super V 4000 DH...

Back