New project - Klein Mantra Comp

Nick C

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just took delivery of my Brothers Klein Mantra Comp, with a view to cleaning it up for his birthday in April. First impressions are good, he's owned it since new and hardly used it. A general clean and polish and some new cables will see it running, but there seems to be little movement in the front forks, anyone know anything about Manitous?

Attachments

• klein_mantra.jpg
    klein_mantra.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 537
Think those Manitou's may be elastomer/air?

Should be simple enugh to get the lowers off and then you can have a proper look, might just need a regrease if been idle for a long time.

I think they could be. If that is the case, it feels as though their is no air in them and about an inch of elastomer providing the 'bounce'! I'll have a better look tonight and also see if I can find a manual online. Never stripped suspension forks down before and I don't want to get it wrong. Pumped up the tubes last night, the front was down before the rear was up and the rear followed suit quickly, ha. No surprises there. Think the ugly butterscotch Wildgrippers should clean up OK, the rubber doesn't seem to be perished.

If I recall correctly these forks have no air crtridge in them, chances are the elastomers have gone solid and you might be only compressing the (short) springs from the spring/elasoner stack.

Thanks for the additional info, if that's the case is it possible to source replacement elastomers?

See if you can find Mountainspeed springs that might fit - they were sold as an upgrade for this series of fork. But you will get rather bouncy, because elastomers provide damping that springs don't.

Back