Non-Tubeless tyres on tubeless rims (with a tube)?

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I need some help please! I've just bought some nice wheels but there's a sticker on the Mavic rims saying they're for tubeless tyres only. Will I die if I run normal tyres on the rims with a normal tube setup? Or do I have to go tubeless?

If I have to go tubeless I'll need tubeless tyres and a valve kit, will I also need sealant?

Sweet, thanks for that. Was worried they'd slip off the rims or something when under pressure! May go tubeless in the future but cant afford the tyres at the moment. The tyres weren't have tight getting them on mind!

What are the tyres that you've just fitted? Lots of non tubeless tyres can be successfully run tubeless anyway ;)

I've just put some of the newer style Conti Mountain King tyres on.

What would I need to buy to go tubeless, valve kits and sealant?

EarlofBarnet":d67mk6xw said:
I've just put some of the newer style Conti Mountain King tyres on.

What would I need to buy to go tubeless, valve kits and sealant?

Yes, with tubeless rims that's it really - though the general consensus is that Mountain Kings have pretty thin sidewalls (prone to sidewall damage) and I can't speak from experience about running them tubeless.

However, for the price of a couple of valves and a pint of Stan's, I'd be tempted to give them a try.

Just bear in mind that tyres are an absolute b*tch to remove and especially fit...

Best have some strong thumbs and fairy liquid at the ready..

Oooh err :shock:

+1 for the washing up liquid. Tried to fit some Panaracer XC Pro's to my Crossmax SLs and they were a total sod to get on then would not seat properly at all. Bit of Fairy around them and attempt number 2 they popped on nicely and seated themselves just fine once inflated.

Back