2000 Klein Mantra Carbon - 96er

adamdski

Retro Newbie
Just installed a 29er front end; breathing new life into what is still a beautiful bicycle. The trails in Phoenix are steep and rocky, and now the head tube angle sits at a mere 68 degrees unloaded, finally making my Mantra rideable in this region. [/b] It weighs 12kg with a 100mm RockShox Reba Race fork and Bontrager Race 29er wheel. It rides exactly like I need it to out here. Really can't get enough of this bike!

Attachments

• KleinMantra96r.JPG
    KleinMantra96r.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 3,229
lovely klein you have there :cool: but aargggghhhhhhhh 29er 700cc wheels aarrgghhhhhhhhh you have ruined it, excuse me while I gouge my own eyes out as the pain is unbearable :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm a big fan of 29" front wheels - lots of advantages and no disadvantages that I've found. I don't know why more people aren't trying it.

That Klein looks very short wheelbase though (or maybe it's just an illusion) - do you have any problems with toe overlap?

klein 69

I have a Klein 69er as well, the 29 in front actually fixes the angle issue Kleins have and no toe clip here. I'm not sure why people are so against it, try it if it doesn't work post it and if it does post it so everyone knows.

Attachments

• kleinsmall2.gif
    kleinsmall2.gif
    198.1 KB · Views: 2,579
Thank you Mantra owners for your openmindedness! It felt refreshing to see this post, really!

Cheers,
Mx

adamdski":2joswskv said:
The trails in Phoenix are steep and rocky, and now the head tube angle sits at a mere 68 degrees unloaded, finally making my Mantra rideable in this region.

Could I ask what size frame that is?? You've got a layback post a long way out, so I guess you're a tall chap....

Klein Mantra's have a tendency when going down steep technical inclines to stink bug, going over the handle bars. By putting a 29" front tire with longer forks the angle changes and helps not to stink bug.

Not tall at all but maybe longer than average arm length and the frame is a medium. By having the seat back it allows me to put my body weight further back on steep inclines to prevent stink bugging.

Is you review all the mtbr.com posts regarding Klein Mantras this is a common issue.

I've gone over the bars a few times and learned how to compensate for this and added some customization to help with its weaknesses. With the 29" in front I have yet to stink bug and am able to go faster and take on more technical inclines.

Back