SW retro ride for Sunday 25th March - Minehead!!!

NeilM":3el0k0zs said:
Can I ask about fitness levels.

I'm just getting back into (or should that be onto) my bikes, as a way of improving my cardiovascular fitness for my horse riding, but I'm having a good time, and am keen to get out and about again.

How 'hard core' are all you guys?

And how fit do I need to be just to keep up? :oops:

I'm in W-s-M, so the Mendips and Quantocks are on my doorstep.

The retro rides aren't (usually) hard core at all. We're a friendly bunch, happy to stop and chat about old bikes and stuff on our rides. So don't worry about the pace! Please come along to one of our SW retro rides :D

Would you know the Mendips or Quantocks well enough to lead us around a ride up there in a month or two?

tiboltrider":90lnyz57 said:
The retro rides aren't (usually) hard core at all. We're a friendly bunch, happy to stop and chat about old bikes and stuff on our rides. So don't worry about the pace! Please come along to one of our SW retro rides :D

Would you know the Mendips or Quantocks well enough to lead us around a ride up there in a month or two?

Me lead a ride? Ha ha ha ha. Sorry, but when I used to ride in a group, going up hill I was usually the one at the back trying to keep last nights meal inside :cry: Downhill was different, although I was more stupid than brave.

Most of my recent riding on the Quantocks and in West Somerset has been on horseback (up to six or seven hours a day :!: ), so not a lot of use there. But with a bit of homework and pondering over the maps, I could certainly sort something out on the Mendips. It's been quite a few years, so I'm pretty rusty on routes, but I know the area well, so I'm certain we could sort something out.

How far / long do you usually ride for?

There's a cafe and a bike shop at the bottom of Burrington Combe, with a bridleway dead opposite up onto the hill (can't remember the name) so there's possible starting / finishing point.

There's also a bike shop in Cheddar, but I don't fancy the gorge for a warm up. My 'roadie' son says it's easy, but then I'm not longer 23 and as fit as a greyhound, so he may have a slightly different perspective to me.

I'll start looking at the map, PM me an e-mail address and we can have a chat about it.

looks like a nice route - must try to get there on 25/3. Might prefer this to Bristol (there are hills!)

so - where do we meet for this & is time the usual 10 fror 10.30? Clocks will have sprung forward 1 hour don't forget.
Will bring bike jumble, maybe cakes! Current favourite (apart from Mrs Jimbo's home baking) are Tesco custard doughnuts. So much better than the jam ones but don't just take my word for it!)

Hi Jimbo.

...bring on the cakes!!! :D 1000 for 1030ish sounds good - TA24 5UL
Take a look at this thread for the 2009 ride >>>

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ad&start=0

Here's the directions (taken from Dirtjumper_dmr :D) >>>

➡️ From roundabout on A39 take 'Seaward Way'(right/3rd exit) towards Butlins.

➡️ Carry on across level crossing to roundabout on seafront.

➡️ Turn left at roundabout along seafront (Warren Road).

➡️ Turn right at junction opposite WSR station along The Esplanade.

➡️ Carry on along The Esplanade and Quay Street (same road changes name 1/2 way along) past the harbour.

➡️ Car park + start point on the left 200 yards approx after harbour.

... and here's a nice picture from Gravy Monster :D >>>

Attachments

• SWride.jpg
    SWride.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 419
jimbo-xc":19dmk4mr said:
Is the route rigid fork friendly do you think? Lava Dome needs an outing.

I don't recall any of it being that rough and there were a few rigids on the last ride up there!

i love that bit of the route, push it uphill, then cane it down when your at the top, although now, there is a gate halfway down you have to slow down for.

Latest posts

Back