Raw Alu Klein Pinnacle

nausea

Retro Guru
Hi - first post here - finally finished(ish) my 1st proper retro build! Not 100% there yet but thought I might as well just build it up and start riding...

I think this is a '92 Pinnacle frame which I have owned from new - most of the parts I've owned from new also so this build is mainly a refurb job but I got the forks, stem, post and bars recently to replace those that had broken over the years. It used to be black which looked awesome but after being ridden on and off for about 15 years it was starting to look more than a little scrappy. I started removing the paint with the intention of getting a proper respray job done but after ogling page after page of Klein paintjobs and then coming back to look at this, I think I might keep it as it is - it's pretty original at least.

On the list of things to do are: decent headset and QRs, remove large ring, add end plugs, better cable yoke at the back, decent tyres. In the pics the wheels with the grey tyres are from my Blur but those Kenda's really drag - the black tyres are heavy puncture proof ones for cycling around London so I'll be adding some nice light fast rollers at some stage.

You can probably see there is still some black paint around the welds to take off and at this stage I've just finished the frame off with very fine wet&dry which gives it a nice satin look. Not sure whether keeping it raw for too long is a good idea though - anyone got any good tips for finishing a raw alu frame and keeping it in good condition?

Anyway, pics to follow - interested to see what you guys think!!

kpin_1.jpg

kpin_2.jpg

kpin_3.jpg

kpin_4.jpg

Welcome to the site.

General introductions usually state that you need to lock away your wallet ...... its a slippy, slippy slope .....

Back on track .....

That has to be one of the few Kleins I have really liked.

Not knocking the fancy paint schemes and the NOSness usually associated (apologies if that reads as being bitchy - its not meant that way) with Kleins but yours looks really functional.

:cool:

I very much like the idea of an unpainted Klein :) Get the rest of the paint off, clearcoat, done?

Very cool ride. It is tough to get the last amount of paint off. I know. I have a 91 Rascal that I have been stripping for the last 2 years.

Heck Yeah! looking good, :cool:
I like the industrial neo-retro look. the concreate walls go well with it.

I agree with the others, and with your inclination to complete the process of striping the paint. Give it a nice hand finish with some fine grit sandpaper and then some sort of clear coat.

ez054098":hf6e32b6 said:
Very cool ride. It is tough to get the last amount of paint off. I know. I have a 91 Rascal that I have been stripping for the last 2 years.

Go to a proper car paintshop and buy some paint removal stuff.. Apply and the paint "bubbles" of in a minute wash the bike of with a soap and clean as whistle..no sanding no nothing ;)

You could look at getting it clear coat anodised. You would probably have to strip the bottle bosses and mudguard eyelets out first but thats an easy job and simple to re fit. I reckon it would look the business.

Hey, cool - nice to get some kind comments and suggestions so soon. I was looking at that bit of paint just in front of the rear cantis thinking I'd never get it off. Paint stripper and clear coat it is then! Also you've helped convince me to keep it raw too.

I was really tormenting myself trying to decide on a paint job but I guess I've got room in my life for another Klein - I might have to accidentally buy a Dolomite or Storm one day in the future...

With regards unpainted Kleins, I remember seeing a polished Attitude on oldklein.com, don't know whether it appeared on this site ever. It looked really smart so I did consider polishing mine but was surprised to find what a cool looking finish you can get using just fine sand paper.

Guess I'll post more pics when I've truly completed this build - just don't hold your breath - I started taking the paint off this frame about 4 years ago!!

Back