Carbon or alloy

jamis o4

Retro Guru
After a new road bike, what are the pro and cons of a carbon bike or shall I just get a new alloy one with carbon forks??? Please help

Carbon frames are generally lighter and stiffer. You get less feedback from the road, although I don't buy that stuff about carbon's magical shock absorbing ride for a second. In the end, I think there's more in the design and process than the material. You can't say a carbon frame will always be better than an alloy one or vice versa. I've ridden some good carbon frames (Cervelo, Madone, old S-Works) and some bad ones (Planet X) and can say the same about alloy frames. As usual with bikes, you get what you pay for. Find a decent shop and have a ride before you buy.

Yeah, I was looking at ribbles or the new carrera for less than a grand. Never ridden carbon so just wanted some advice

Two pals of mine have Ribbles, both very very pleased with them. One rode the Raid Pyreneen successfully on his last year - if that ain't proof positive I don't know what is!

I know a lad that's got one of those Ribble Sportive bikes (the white and silver one) and he loves it. Never ridden it myself but it's a nice looking thing.

I can only commet on what iv'e ridden but so far the best bike iv'e put miles on is my giant tcr composite 1 rides nice comfy considering the position :D

my favourite road bike material though is steel it rides so nice ;)

Back