Introducing my 1962-ish Freddie Grubb

mpjbrennan

Retro Newbie
freddie_grubb_before_001.jpg

Before

freddie_grubb_after_002a.jpg

After

Introducing my 1962-ish Freddie Grubb before and after restoration. Most of the original equipment only required a good clean before refitting, but some components had to be replaced. Current spec is as follows:

Re-used components
Frame - Holdsworth "Freddie Grubb" (Reynolds 531, rustproofed by special process, whatever that was) FN 11233
Brakes - Weinmann "Vainqueur" centre pull (610 front, 750 rear)
Brake levers - Weinmann (perished hoods removed)
Stem - GB (quill)
Cranks - Solida
Chainring - DLRA Force (47T)
Derailleur - Campagnolo "Gran Sport"
Shifter - Campagnolo
Wheels - I have two sets, both based on Weinmann 27 x 1.25 rims. One set has Campagnolo QR large flange hubs; the other has a Sachs front hub and a Maillard rear hub

New components

Saddle - Brooks "Swift" (with matching toolbag)
Seat post - Push
Tyres - Continental "Gatorskins"
Pedals - MKS "Sylvan"
Headset - Stronglight
Toeclips and straps - Zefal "Christophe"
Handlebar - On-One "Midge"
Freewheel - SJS "Elan" 14-24

The freewheel, pedal and toeclip replacements were purely for practical reasons:
(a) the existing 16-20 freewheel was no good for the hills in our locality.
(b) the original pedals had no maker's mark, and one was part-seized.
(c) I have bigger feet than the previous owner!

The Midge handlebar was a whim - I like old-style randonneur bars and find them more comfortable. I have retained the original Gerry Burgess bar however.

The frame was resprayed by Bob Jackson Cycles of Leeds, and new decals were supplied by H Lloyd of Penrith. I must say I had excellent service from both these suppliers.

Since rebuilding the bike I have ridden 270 miles on it - would have been more but for the weather. It's a beautifully smooth ride, and I'm looking forward to the longer days and better weather to get the most out of it.

Patrick

freddie_grubb_after_005.jpg

very nice and I approve of the Midge bars, the missus has them on her Vitus 787, wide but nice shallow drop and great for control... are you going to get some replacement hoods for the brake levers?

I tried a few variants, but nothing fitted as well as the original. By then, constant rubbing from my gloves had brought out the shine on the levers so much that I've decided to leave as-is.

Patrick

Back