1991 Rocky Mountain Experience

Spec list

Main bits
Frame: 1991 Rocky Mountain Experience 17.5” r
Forks: NOS Tange Big Forks (branded Tioga) - eBay Japan – Triple S powdercoated red
Stem: Rocky Mountain – Triple S powdercoated black, polished top cap and new bolts
Headset: NOS Shimano Deore XT M736 - eBay USA
Seatpost: BBB Syncros copy 30.4mm 400mm (you try to find another one!!!) - eBay UK – resprayed satin black by myself and treated to period Syncros decals… ;-)
Seatclamp: NOS Shimano Deore XT M734 - the Rob Atkin stash ;-)
Bars: NOS Tioga 600mm - eBay Germany

Drivetrain
Shifters: Mk1 Gripshift – now Deore thumbshifters
Front Mech: Shimano Deore DX 34.9 bottom pull
Rear Mech: NOS Shimano Deore DX Long cage
Chain: KMC 8.99 silver - RB
Cassette: Near-NOS Shimano HG70 14-32 7sp
Cranks: Shimano Deore DX (polished) with black Girvin Rock Ring
Pedals: Deore XT beartrap copies NOW DMR V8 silver

Brakes
Brake levers: Shimano Deore XT 4-finger black M730 NOW XT SLR Plus 2 finger with polished blades
Brakes: Shimano Deore XT M734 low-pro black cantilvers - mine already
Brake blocks: Fr: Scott Matthauser Superbrake - mine already Re: Deore XT
Cables: Clarks/Shimano, NOS Shimano cable hangers – eBay UK

Spinny things
Wheels: Shimano Deore XT M780 on black Mavic XM719 rims with ACI double butted spokes and Deore XT QR's – Merlin Cycles

Soft Bits
Tyres: Ritchey Skinwall Alpha Bite 2.1" – eBay UK
Grips ODI Attack, black - CRC
Seat: NOS Selle Italia Turbo - eBay UK – NOW Flite Ti (1992)

Also…..
NOS Red anodised alu rear mech jockey bolts
Red anodised alu bottle bolts with black anodised alu washers
Black anodised plain black knurled valve caps

Special mentions and much thanks to:

Gingernuts/Badger- for remembering I wanted the frame many months ago, selling it to me for a fair price and letting me come round when he wasn't well.
Fluffychicken - Gripshift advice and the RM stem
RockiMtn - for Rocky Mountain advice and stern advice… ;-)
Gil_m - decals - good price even though he had to change them around a bit to make them perfect, the best quality, then getting Syncros ones done in time for the Lakes ride.
Vinevo- Deore XT 4 finger brake levers
Nevadasmith - Mk1 Gripshift
Mossy - HG70 14-32 cassette
Rio - black Rock Ring

RockiMtn - for Rocky Mountain advice and stern advice… ;)

Since I sorely wanted this frame from the get go and missed it on ebay, then not financially feasible to get it off gingernuts/badger after the fact, i had to make sure you stayed on the straight and narrow to build this up respectably… and you've done a fantastic job! ;)

Don't worry, you can return the favour as you should be able to scold me all you want shortly with my next upcoming project! :LOL: although i may not be as receptive as you've been to me! :roll: :p :twisted:

I love the ride of this bike but after the shakedown ride (the Lakes National ride was literally the first time I rode it!) there were a few issues to address.

Front mech - I am struggling to get it to shift into the granny ring at all. When the front mech is as far in as it will go (1mm away from the tyre!!!!! :shock: ) it still won't shift from the middle ring. I've tried to adjust it a little better so hopefully its fixed.

Brakes - The XT/Scott Matthauser brakes are off, and a new set of Magura HS33's in silver are being installed as I type. I think they look really good on the bike, despite them being the new version, but I just couldn't find some old versions in good enough condition. I'll get some pics up when it's all done so RockiMtn can shout at me about it......

Otherwise it's perfect, it really is. I'm hoping to do a short canal tour down south this year with my wife, and now I've only got a full-on road bike I'll have to use this BUT RM thought of this and put rack mounts on!! So if you see this bike on the Kennet and Avon canal this summer stop me and say "hi!"!! :D :D

Pic of the Magura's on the bike

fd39b5ed.jpg

Rob Atkin":3n382xn5 said:
I love the ride of this bike but after the shakedown ride (the Lakes National ride was literally the first time I rode it!) there were a few issues to address.

Front mech - I am struggling to get it to shift into the granny ring at all. When the front mech is as far in as it will go (1mm away from the tyre!!!!! :shock: ) it still won't shift from the middle ring. I've tried to adjust it a little better so hopefully its fixed.

Brakes - The XT/Scott Matthauser brakes are off, and a new set of Magura HS33's in silver are being installed as I type. I think they look really good on the bike, despite them being the new version, but I just couldn't find some old versions in good enough condition. I'll get some pics up when it's all done so RockiMtn can shout at me about it......

Otherwise it's perfect, it really is. I'm hoping to do a short canal tour down south this year with my wife, and now I've only got a full-on road bike I'll have to use this BUT RM thought of this and put rack mounts on!! So if you see this bike on the Kennet and Avon canal this summer stop me and say "hi!"!! :D :D

Well done, I'm about to start on one ;) I'd have stuck with the brakes though and the shifting problem is coz the BB axle is too narrow! move up to a longer BB, problem solved.

RockiMtn":1ftkb7ly said:
somewhat surprised you didn't go with a red set.

I had been looking out for an older set and I did miss a NOS red set for £75. :roll: These are the 2011 versions and I'm glad I got silver/black ones as they don't about "look at me" and still let the f&f stand out.

I am looking for a red CNC booster, a nice period one would be lovely.

The white plastic covers on the brake levers I will be spraying red, only a small part but should look good for it.

This may be up for sale very soon to fund a special project (can't afford more than one bike!) so PM me if interested in the frameset...

Back