Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ Aftermath

It was a great start to 2012, and I didn't do too bad for my first bike ride of the year. Thanks to the chaps for organising it and sorting out the weather so that the rain held off until we'd finished because the loose slate would've been horrible in the wet.
Conistonride.jpg

HodgeClosequarry.jpg

PICT3409.jpg

And some tasty bikes

PICT3402.jpg

PearlescentKona.jpg

Marc2TsfluoroAntelope.jpg

PACERCermseatpillardetail.jpg

SRamXOdetailfromAny123sbike.jpg

I'm struggling to upload pictures to my server at the moment. Modern technology sucks.
Anyway here's a couple of shots so far.

RB-Coniston-01.jpg

32 riders ignoring some Andy Goldsworthy land art.

RB-Coniston-02.jpg

Herding cats...

RB-Coniston-03.jpg

Ready to roll. Nearly.

I finally got home a few hours ago and have mostly been cleaning my bike and kit.
Great ride though and I'm glad everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I was certainly smiling all day, even whilst practising my 'cyclo-cross mincing' on the rocky steps and squeezing fish juice out of punctured inner tubes.
The final descent was just as great as always and, for what it's worth, I really enjoyed all the climbs.
You'll miss them at Thetford.

I'll sort out some more of my photos when the computer stops saying 'no' and maybe concoct something resembling a ride report.

Keswick Phil":2z04dms6 said:
Great to meet you all this weekend. I was the random fella who appeared on the way to meet the Wife at Grizedale (pootled over from Keswick). Pleased I received your 'retro seal of approval' with my Bontrager (along with several offers of cash when I mentioned I was looking at a new bike...). Sadly, you've spurred me on to keep it. Reckon I might have to spend a bit of time on here to get as 'retro' as some of the lads I saw this weekend. It took me back to my Uni days seeing some of the bikes that were out.

Looks like I might have to come to the next meet as well; the Wife is sick of hearing how much I enjoyed it!!

Good to meet you Phil, I was on the dark green diamond back accent, sounds like you have caught the retro bike bug, I reckon we will be seeing you on a few rides pretty soon :D

What a great day out that was, hopefully the rest of the year will be as good, well I ache all over but it's worth it, it was good to see everyone, old and new faces, thanks to the organizers for putting on a great ride, thanks to Mr Lee for the karma bits and Marc two tone for the lift, looking forward to the next meeting :D

Attachments

• DSCF1537 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF1537 [800x600].jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,906
  • DSCF1539 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF1539 [800x600].jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,906
  • DSCF1548 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF1548 [800x600].jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,906
Here are the rest of my photos at last:

RB-Coniston-04.jpg

Pick a route, any route... Or follow JV.

RB-Coniston-05.jpg

LGF; Overbury happy to keep his jeans clean.

RB-Coniston-06.jpg

MrLee playing in the bombholes on his Smokestone.

RB-Coniston-07.jpg

Rich Aitch proving that 200GS is awesome.

RB-Coniston-08.jpg

Retrobikers aimlessly meander close to the precipitous drop into Hodge Close.

RB-Coniston-09.jpg

Captain Cosmic on a Rocky Mountain Blizzard and ZigZag on a Mountain Cycle Moho CXS.

RB-Coniston-10.jpg

Big eck on the Raleigh Massif

RB-Coniston-11.jpg

The Wizard of Oz with his shiny, shiny helmet and a Dyna Tech Torus.

RB-Coniston-12.jpg

rc200ti rides his DeKerf Generation followed by Bolly on Kona Lava Dome.

RB-Coniston-13.jpg

Marc Two Tone with his Trek 830 trail-slayer.

RB-Coniston-14.jpg

Rob Atkin enjoys the rocky mountain experience on a Rocky Mountain Experience.

RB-Coniston-15.jpg

Rich Aitch on his Marin Bear Valley with Videojetman on his Pace RC100 behind.

RB-Coniston-16.jpg

Neily pulls another wheelie. MrKawanearlylostcontrol puts his Ibis Alibi to the test.

RB-Coniston-17.jpg

Bhill22 smoothly does it on a GT LTS.

RB-Coniston-18.jpg

Unclejack on a lovely Rock Lobster.

RB-Coniston-19.jpg

The Humber contingent. FluffyChicken on his Explosif cowers away from another foul mouthed tirade from Andy 'Potty Mouth' B on a Clockwork.

RB-Coniston-20.jpg

Daj loves rocks. He also rides a lovely Roberts.

RB-Coniston-21.jpg

1993 Univega Alpina: Gratuitous own bike shot on the sweet fire road climbs.

RB-Coniston-22.jpg

Post ride hagglefest.

Highlights for me included:

- Meeting and introducing several more people to the joys of Retrobike rides.
- The reasonably good weather. The best we could have wished for the Lakes in February.
- The trails riding nicely. Even the slate wasn't too slippery.
- Meeting Duncan MacDonald of Pace Cycles out on a ride at Hodge Close.
- Big grins at the bottom of the decents
- The hollow looks of resentment after another climb that wasn't supposed to be there.
- Daj's racing line.
- any123's Klein Fauxdriottitude and his whinging about the rocks.
- The 'smooth but bumpy' descent.
- 'Did you build these wheels yourself John...?'
- Squeezing fish juice from inner tubes
- Hip flask of Sloe Gin.
- The warmth inside the Grizedale visitor centre.
- The switchback climb after dinner. I loved it.
- Final descent. It just kept on giving.
- The smell of rim brakes.
- The official scenic shortcut back to the start point by the lake shore versus the unofficial long way round on the road.
- Retrobike socks.

Thanks again to everyone for making it a great day.

Yet another great day spent with likeminded folk riding in epic country side, on lovely retro machines. Thanks to all for organising, guiding, hold gates open & riding.

Nothing spectacular to report from my stay at Ruddock towers this time thank god. Other than to say it has been confirmed that Mr K has sexy elbows whether he likes it or not. Just ask the drunken 50 something slags at his local.

Post ride report - The wizard of OZ

looked great and the closest ride to my base at the girlfriends house (14 miles away) before i had to pull out and sort things in newcastle :cry: :cry: :cry:

maybe next time, bloody nice pics though :cool: ;)

drystonepaul":16n6z19y said:
32 riders ignoring some Andy Goldsworthy land art

I really wanted to see this and take some pics but no-one pointed it out to me as was promised. Gutted. :-(

Back