I need your help choosing a FS frame!!!

If you get a modern frame with a decent shock from the last couple of years you shouldn't bob around at all really. Never notice it on my Orange 5 (shock's a Fox RP23 with Propedal). Problem is decent modern frames and shocks aint cheap.

Cheaper and older you go you're more likely to be disapointed with the ride imo. I love retro but wouldn't really want a retro full suss for anything other then nostalgia.

Saying all that you should defo try full suss, it's not just for the down hillers any more ;)

This is my FS retro, a 2000 Marin Mount Vision - its simply a fantastic bike that I will never sell. A TRUE CLASSIC! :cool: I have upgraged the suspension to a Fox RP23 at the rear and FOX up front which is simply perfect. You can tune it so that its almost rigid or medium or soft depending on how you feel that day. :D

Attachments

• 2000 Marin Mount Vision - my offroad work horse.jpg
    2000 Marin Mount Vision - my offroad work horse.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 951
Just keep a look out on ebay for a very cheap full sus frame or bike, I picked up a Muddy Fox full sus (one of the very high specd decent frames, before they went very pear shapped) last week, full bike with some very good parts, LX, bombers, fox shock for £63!!!! Ive just rebuilt and cleaned everything and it really will serve me well for a fair few years. I usually ride hardtails, so this is just a cheap have a go bike. They are there, just keep looking.

Cheers guys. I'm now thinking of going for a fairly modern XC rig with short travel suspension as I want to keep the weight down, plus I actually get a little bit of kick out of climbing :shock: and don't fancy lugging a 30lb+ bike up a mountain side. The problem is finding a suitable steed - any ideas welcome! I was thinking Specialized Epic before reading reviews of rear shocks failing! Anyone got any thoughts?

bluebouye":qi2lh764 said:
Cheers guys. I'm now thinking of going for a fairly modern XC rig with short travel suspension as I want to keep the weight down, plus I actually get a little bit of kick out of climbing :shock: and don't fancy lugging a 30lb+ bike up a mountain side. The problem is finding a suitable steed - any ideas welcome! I was thinking Specialized Epic before reading reviews of rear shocks failing! Anyone got any thoughts?

My old short travel Mount Vision XC weighs 28lb, i agree no light weight, but it rides lighter, if that makes sense, as it has very light wheels and can be ridden all day long easily. I have ridden a lot of FS bikes and will now only use a fox RP23 rear gas shock with a gas LOCKOUT Fox up front as i like to control the firmness on the small hits and hate 'bobbing' along. I can switch the rear to ultra firm and lock the front with a flick of two switches for the climb and then flick them back again for the downhill run! The air pressure of both front and rear can also be fine tuned also to get the exact amount of sag for your weight. I have also have AVID hydrolic disc brakes on it which are just fantastic in any situation, far better than the Hopes they replaced. What I like most about this Marin is the Jon Whyte connection:

1984 Aerospace engineer Jon Whyte joins the F1 world as a designer

1994 As a senior suspension designer he helps the Benetton team and Michael Schumacher to their first of his world championships.

1996 Jon joins ATB Sales’s design team and develops its first full suspension system, featuring on a Marin bike

1996 Paul Lasenby wins his first XC national points series race with Jon’s system – the first ever win at this level on a full suspension bike.

1997 Lasenby sweeps all before him to win the National XC Championship on the FRS Mount Vision. Every year since, a suspension bike designed by Jon has won a major championship.

IF ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR LASENBY TO WIN ON, ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME! :D

Thanks for all your thoughts. I have done loads of research and I have decided to go for a Giant Anthem frame as I can't find a bad review :D . It appears to fulfill my xc needs, plus it all the reviews I have read say it makes a great trail and all-day epic ride bike. Is it too good to be true? All I need to do now is find one!!! :?

Nice choice, if I was changing my Marin Mount Vision, that is the FS i would go for. The 2009 Anthem X1 model (orange and anno silver frame) had the best spec i think. It was 'What Mountain Bike' bike of the year by a long way back then. I have even kept that edition of WMB ready for when i get that model X1 Anthem one day! ;)

Attachments

• anthem_x1.jpg
    anthem_x1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 452
  • ANTHEM2.jpg
    ANTHEM2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 452
  • anthem1.JPG
    anthem1.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 452
  • WMB89_bt_giant_det1_prev-670-75.jpg
    WMB89_bt_giant_det1_prev-670-75.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 452

Attachments

• WMB89_bt_giant1_prev-670-75.jpg
    WMB89_bt_giant1_prev-670-75.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 451
  • WMB89_bt_giant2_prev-670-75.jpg
    WMB89_bt_giant2_prev-670-75.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 451
  • WMB89_bt_giant_det3_prev-670-75.jpg
    WMB89_bt_giant_det3_prev-670-75.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 451
  • WMB89_bt_giant1_prev-670-75.jpg
    WMB89_bt_giant1_prev-670-75.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 451
Oooooh she is lovely. I just need to start saving my pennies. I've done quite a lot a research and this bike just comes up trumps every time. Thanks for the drool-worthy pictures Shaun :shock:

Back